Legal Officer (National Contract)
UNDP/UNESP, Kabul, AFGHANISTAN
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading global displacement agency working in 40 countries, in conjunction with our specialist mine action unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG), which has been working in Afghanistan since 1999. DRC commenced operations in Afghanistan in 2011 and is today a leading actor in humanitarian response with membership of the Humanitarian Country Team and recent high-level representation at the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan. DRC-DDG Afghanistan is part of DRC’s Central & South-West Asia (CASWA) region covering Afghanistan, Iran and Paki-stan. Within an overall strategic framework of responding to emergencies, seeking solutions to pro-tracted displacement; and tackling root causes, DRC-DDG Afghanistan’s current programming encompasses: mine action, emergency response, protection, armed violence reduction, and livelihoods. With more than 500 fulltime national and international staff members, offices in Kabul, Jalalabad, Kandahar, Herat and Mazar-i-Sharif and a portfolio in 2016 of USD 13 million, DRC-DDG Afghanistan is one of the largest INGOs operating in Afghanistan.
About the job:
The Legal Officer, under the direct supervision of Protection Specialist in Kabul, is primarily responsible for providing legal counselling to the project beneficiaries and targeted communities, case management and referrals, follow-up, awareness raising and training, necessary support to partner organization, and liaising with government and other key stakeholders.
- Provide individual legal counseling to the clients in IDPs, returnees settlements /hub.
- Provide family group counseling to the affected IDPs and GBV survivors
- Work closely with IMA and provide data to ensure the accuracy of data collection
- Undergo/receive training from IMA in how to access and use the databases and information management tools
- Weekly outreach of the IDP sites to mobilize them and encourage them for accessing our resources and services
- Ensure high standards of protection cases and confidentiality of clients who seek for our services in hub
- Conducting group counseling for IDPs and train them on their rights and EVAW law
- Providing legal/child rights induction for IDP children to support child protection
- Support DRC Protection team and other teams with protection and legal trainings particularly GBV
- Comply with the requirements and standards of the DRC-DDG, a code of conduct and safety procedures.
- Perform other relevant tasks as required.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree in Law.
Experience and Qualification:
- At least 3 years of working experiences in counseling and/or legal affairs or other activities related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Entitle to have AIBA licenses.
- Knowledge of and experience working with IDPs/refugees
- Experience in legal affairs is a must.
- Demonstrated experience in providing counseling to clients.
- Ability to conduct trainings.
- Ability to clearly express one’s thoughts, to analyze and present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to set priorities and show initiative, to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Interest in humanitarian work and human rights, ability and willingness to learn.
- An understanding of the basic principles of humanitarian work, human rights, protection, and the needs of internally displaced persons and refugees in Afghanistan.
- Fluency in Pashto and
- Good knowledge of English and Dari
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
Collaboration: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC-DDG vision and values.
- Availability: As soon as possible
- Duty station: Kabul, Afghanistan
DRC-DDG will offer the successful applicant a contract from 1 August 2017 to the end of 2017.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff. This position will be placed at salary Grade D, level 1, basic 745 USD.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on Apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 30 July 2017. However, please note due to the urgency of this position, shortlisting process will be ongoing. Should we find qualified candidates prior to expiry of this advert, interviews will be held immediately.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: UNDP/UNESP, Kabul, AFGHANISTAN
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2017-07-30