Rapid Response Mechanism Coordinator (National Position), NRC Erbil Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the Rapid Response Mechanism Coordinator position is to implement delegated rapid response project portfolios, comprised of rapid assessments, NFI distributions and/or emergency cash activities.
The position will be reporting to Project Manager.
This position will be based in Erbil with frequent visits to NRC site operations.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in relevant field or equivalent qualification.Minimum of 3 years of experience in similar role in international organization.Experience from working in a None-food Item ((NFI/) , cash distribution project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context..Fluency in spoken & written English, Arabic and Kurdish Language. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Line management of RRM project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to RRM strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of RRM projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from Project Manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to PM (AM and CCS if no PM)
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Have an overall understanding of the context and follow any developments that might trigger displacements.
- Establish a network of key informants and information sources that monitor displacements.
- Work with the relevant managers and specialists to establish a network of potential implementing partners, link up with authorities and security forces that will facilitate access to new operational areas.
- Ready to be deployed to areas of new displacements within 24hrs notice and lead the Rapid Response activities.
- Lead multi sectoral needs assessments in areas of new displacements.
- Provide support with the overall development of contingency plans in the current and new areas of operation.
- Ensure there is a constant coordination with other support functions such as logistics, security and finance to facilitate the rapid response.
- Design weekly and monthly implementation workplans, in cooperation with the Team Leaders.
- Visit/supervise regularly all the NRC implementation sites. Conduct spot checks to ensure that all SoPs are in place.
- Participate in all relevant Coordination, Cluster and Working Group meetings.
- Participate in the recruitment of field staff and ensure all staff undertake the NRC performance management review.
- Supervise that the Information Management systems are in place according to the reporting and data collection requirements.
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the PM/AM.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Excellent negotiator and very good communication skills.
- Very good contextual knowledge in areas of operations (Ninewa).
- Very good relations with the community leaders, local authorities and security forces.
- Experience with emergency response.
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
The post will be for five (5) months contract duration (with possibility of extension)-Subject to funds
Salary: 7/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: NRC Erbil Office with frequent visits to NRC site operations.
For more information, please find enclosed the job description.