Senior Roads & Bridges Engineer (Re-advertisement)
Hakha | Yangon
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Three Millennium Development Goal Fund (3MDG), the Livelihood and Food Security Trust Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS Myanmar is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Myanmar and Cambodia, and for the Global Fund¹s Regional Artemisinin-resistance Initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the Greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS Myanmar plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information - Job-specific
In response to the floods and landslides that devastated the mountainous areas of Myanmar, particularly Chin State in June 2015, Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a grant agreement with the Government of Myanmar for “Emergency Support for Chin State Livelihoods Restoration Project” to assist with Myanmar's disaster relief and recovery efforts. The project is funded by Japan Fund for Poverty Reduction and to be implemented through Department of Rural Development (DRD). UNOPS is responsible for implementation of Output 1: Restored village access infrastructure (roads and bridges) with increased disaster resiliency and Output 2: Restored community infrastructure with increased disaster resiliency.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager the Sr. Roads & Bridges Engineer shall be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Conduct engineering surveys for the selected roads and other structures including bridges;
- Provide inputs into the design process and prepare the Bill of Quantities as per the final design drawings and calculate the final quantities.
- Assess the work activities for which labour-based construction methods are appropriate and for those sections for which heavy machinery is appropriate; establish a cost estimate for the rehabilitation and construction works for roads & bridges;
- Assist in the preparation of tender documents and evaluation of tenders and the preparation and finalisation of contracts for construction and rehabilitation works;
- Make any necessary changes to the design drawings as per the site conditions;
- Develop geometric design from the survey results using AutoCAD, Civil CAD and/or other appropriate programmes;
- Review the hydrological and drainage designs and modify as per the project requirements on site;
- Supervise contractors on site, ensuring that the works meet the highest standards expected by UNOPS and in accordance with UNOPS technical standard guidelines;
- Monitor construction and rehabilitation works, including environmental mitigation and safety plans in accordance with contractual agreements;
- Review the contractor’s work programmes, resource, schedule and project implementation plans and ensure that the contractors/site supervisors comply with their work plans and complete the work within the specified time frame;
- Ensure all works, undertaken by the contractor and/or his agent, are of good quality, as per specifications and with approved quality materials;
- Assess and evaluate the contractor’s performance and resources;
- Provide clear written and verbal instructions to the contractor or contractor’s representative(s) on site, and effectively and quickly resolve any project-related problems or issues causing delay;
- Be able to prepare the drafts for contractual correspondence, interpret the contract conditions and specifications, monitor the progress of work, be able to prepare work plans, minutes of meetings, etc.;
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- Compliance with UNOPS policies, regulation and rules, ensuring improved efficiency of the MMOH leading to success in the implementation of the project, leading to partner satisfaction.
- A Master’s degree in an infrastructure related field such as civil or transportation engineering, architecture, and construction management or similar is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree with additional 2 years of relevant work experience to the above duties and responsibilities may be accepted in lieu of Master Degree.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in coordination, planning and managing of design and construction works for road & bride is required.
- Previous experiences in developing countries in Asia with mountainous terrain and the UN system is desirable.
- Experience in engaging with local government staff, local contractors and communities to build their capacity in the design, construction and maintenance of low volume rural roads, bridges and community infrastructure; and dealing with community contracting is preferable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Access, AutoCAD and internet. Ability to draft various types of documentation in English languages is required.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Myanmar is required. A second UN language is an asset.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Position is Re- advertisement and no need to apply again who already apply in previous Vacancy ref.VA/2016/B5506/11452 - Senior Roads & Bridges Engineer, previous all applications will combine with current VA ref. A/2017/B5506/11720.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 10
Contract duration: one year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Hakha | Yangon
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-08-06