Senior Protection Officer (National Contract)
UNDP/UNESP, Kabul, AFGHANISTAN
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a leading global displacement agency working in 40 countries, in conjunction with our specialist mine action unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG), which has been working in Afghanistan since 1999. DRC commenced operations in Afghanistan in 2011 and is today a leading actor in humanitarian response with membership of the Humanitarian Country Team and recent high-level representation at the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan. DRC-DDG Afghanistan is part of DRC’s Central & South-West Asia (CASWA) region covering Afghanistan, Iran and Paki-stan. Within an overall strategic framework of responding to emergencies, seeking solutions to pro-tracted displacement; and tackling root causes, DRC-DDG Afghanistan’s current programming encompasses: mine action, emergency response, protection, armed violence reduction, and livelihoods. With more than 500 fulltime national and international staff members, offices in Kabul, Jalalabad, Kandahar, Herat and Mazar-i-Sharif and a portfolio in 2016 of USD 13 million, DRC-DDG Afghanistan is one of the largest INGOs operating in Afghanistan.
About the job:
Protection Information Management Officer is part of the DRC-DDG Protection team and works under direct guidance and supervision of Protection Coordinator. He/she is based in Kabul with occasional travel to DRC-DDG field offices in Afghanistan.
- Under the guidance and supervision of Protection & Advocacy Manager, develop and/or maintain databases and information management (IM) tools for protection related activities (assessments, community profiling, monitoring, case management, daily activity logs, etc.).
- Provide support with data entry and ensure timeliness and accuracy of all entered data.
- Generate reports (graphs, charts, tables, etc.) from the available data and prepare statistical analysis.
- Work closely with M&E colleagues to ensure that the IM tools and systems used by Protection team are in line with the projects’ M&E plans and are able to provide required data and analysis.
- Provide training to DRC Protection staff in how to access and use the databases and information management tools as required.
- Ensure high standard of data protection and confidentiality of beneficiaries and of the staff involved in data collection.
- Support DRC Protection team in the operation and maintenance of computers, printers and other hardware and software related to programme activities.
- Comply with the requirements and standards of the DRC-DDG, a code of conduct and safety procedures.
- Perform other relevant tasks as required.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Education and Qualification:
- University degree, preferably in Computer Science, IT, communications or other relevant technical field.
- At least 2-3 years of work experience in database and/or information management or other activities related to the responsibilities of the position.
- Good software engineering (programming/coding) skills, including knowledge of MySQL and experience designing online-based information management systems/tools.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, ability to design Excel based information management tools and produce user-friendly reports and analysis.
- Knowledge of and experience working with the KOBO and ODK platforms is desirable.
- Ability to clearly express one’s thoughts, to analyse and present information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to set priorities and show initiative, to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. Positive, solution oriented attitude.
- Demonstrated experience in developing well-functioning and user-friendly databases and/or information management tools.
- Interest in humanitarian work and human rights, ability and willingness to learn.
- An understanding of the basic principles of humanitarian work, human rights, protection, and the needs of internally displaced persons and refugees in Afghanistan.
- Good knowledge of English and fluency in Dari, including ability to do data entry and use IT applications in both languages.
- Knowledge of Pashtu desirable.
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
Collaboration: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC-DDG vision and values.
Availability: As soon as possible
Duty station: Kabul
DRC-DDG will offer the successful applicant a contract till the end of 2017, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for national staff. This position will be placed at salary Grade C, level 1, basic 1,155 USD.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on Apply button. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close 5 August 2017. However, please note due to the urgency of this position, shortlisting process will be ongoing. Should we find qualified candidates prior to expiry of this advert, interviews will be held immediately.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: UNDP/UNESP, Kabul, AFGHANISTAN
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Human Rights
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Animal Health and Veterinary
- Closing Date: 2017-08-05