GIS Database Analyst
Bangui (Central African Republic)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information - DR Congo
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS CDOH in Central Africa covers the DRC, CAR and RC. UNOPS CDOH based in Kinshasa, DRC has been identified as an agency in the United Nations system which can support the area of infrastructure, and humanitarian and post conflict management both horizontally and vertically. The office has developed a strong working relationship with international partners, UN agencies including UN Missions and Governments of Central Africa over the years. It provides technical support and capacity building in strategic development areas including infrastructure rehabilitation and development across health, education, public works, governance/public administration sectors; procurement, project management and sectorial advisory services; peace and security, environmental preservation and protection among others.
The distinctive activity of UNOPS CDOH in Central Africa aims at assisting government, donor and UN entities in their efforts to ensure timely and efficient implementation of their humanitarian, security/conflict resolution and development investment projects related to the reconstruction and development of the countries within the Hub.
The incumbent will be working under the direct supervision of Project Manager and under the management of the Head of Office and will have to design and construct a GIS database system. He / She is expected during his/her duties are:
- Advise on the software and hardware to be used for the registration process and to create the GIS database
- Develop the structure or format of the GIS database as required, incorporating ideas according to the knowledge and experience of the incumbent and other stakeholders
- Develop a Web mapping interactively displaying, processing or analyzing GIS content on the World Wide Web
- Manage the registration process of the beneficiaries of the project, social infrastructure and services available in the project cities
- Develop data entry format and reporting designs through reviewing the following documentation process and file repository of the project
- Designing database reports: format importing and exporting data for reporting, report format relating to operations and performances of the GIS database, list of beneficiaries, stats etc.
- Maintain strict data confidentiality for sensitive data
- Develop and maintain database design documentation and operating manuals on how to use the Database
- Create and maintain system related documentation
- Develop, test, debug and maintain an array of custom web based GIS applications, tools and supporting web services using standard software lifecycle processes
- Provide support, troubleshooting, modifications, enhancements and maintenance for GIS application, scripts and tools
- Provide on the job training to selected staff members of the project covering the following modules;
- Advise the senior management of the project, for the required information
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Computer Science, Statistics or related field such as geographic information science, geography, computer science, surveying or urban planning is required;
- First level University degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in Computer Science, Statistics or related field such as geographic information science, geography, computer science, surveying or urban planning in combination with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- GIS certifications is desired.
- 2 years of relevant experience working, developing and managing databases for several types of data and information is required;
- 2 years of experience in programming and use of Microsoft Excel and GIS databases, SQL including design of database structures and development of appropriate interfaces for data entry, ensuring data quality and security, update records and fields, modification of database structure, and generation of customized reports is required.
- Experience in training project personnel in the use of database management and different software applications is desired;
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Excel, Access, SQL Express, VBA, hardware and software installation and maintenance, and networking is preferable.
- Significant experience in analyzing data and producing reports is an advantage;
- Experience in writing and maintaining GIS database design documentation and operating manuals is required.
- Fluency written and oral in French is required
- Intermediate English is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA-1
Contract duration: 3 months renewable subject to performance and funding
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.