New York City | Washington D.C
Background Information - Job-specific
This position is located in the Enterprise Application Centre - New York, Office of Information and Communications Technology, Department of Management.
The United Nations requires an experienced application developer for the implementation of telephone billing system in New York. The implementation will be done using eBilling system which is currently implemented in over 35 field missions. The new implementation will support over 5000 users in New York and expected to cover the roll out of the application to OAHs in the next phase. This is an opportunity to join an exciting, fast moving, high profile, global project.
The Application Developer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Designs and develops application using the technologies such as Microsoft .Net and SQL Server platforms.
- Designs, creates, produces and maintains functional design and technical documentation for newly developed modules.
- Develops and implements a plan for data migration and safe decommissioning of the current system.
- Evaluate the data from various external sources, Analyze, plan and prepare the processes for Data cleansing and migration of the data to the new system.
- Evaluation of change requests including programming requirements and recommendations to users for the programming
- Interface. Follows change management and version control system/processes
- Develops reviews and validates the test scripts and test plans for all phases of testing, including Unit Testing, and User Verification Testing.
- Preparation of training materials and provides guidance and training to the users.
- Participating and coordinating in complete systems development life cycle process. Enhances existing systems by analyzing business objectives, preparing an action plan and identifying areas for modification and improvement.
- Provides effective technology support for applications that were developed internally and applications that are highly integrated by internal programming.
- Consults colleagues concerning maintenance and performance of software systems.
Planning and Organizing : Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Communications : Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to convey complex technical concepts both orally and in writing, in a clear, concise manner. Ability to communicate with various levels of technical experience (developers/ operations/ end users/management / support staff). Exceptional technical written and oral English language skills. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.Professionalism : Ability to perform a broad range of ICT architecture and project management functions including basic development capacities for a unit test. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science,Information Technology, Information Systems, Engineering or related fields is required. A Bachelor’s degree in combination with an additional (2) years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
2 years developing .NET applications including a significant experience in building web services based applications is required.
Applications: current versions of Apache/Jakarta/TomCat, IIS, Microsoft SQL server, MySQL, Visual Studio.NET is required.
Experience in Service delivery applications such as Telephone billing application is required.
Experience in working with Microsoft SSIS packages and ETL tools is required.
Operating Systems: current versions of Microsoft Windows Server is required.
Experience with API/Web Services development/ deployment is desirable.
- Ability to quickly translate and navigate through new code from different development styles is desirable.
- Planning and organizational skills is desirable.
- Ability to take ownership of specific tasks and follow the project team’s direction through to completion with minimal supervision is desirable.
- Passion to develop and solve problems both in work and on personal projects is a plus.
- High quality and demonstrable communication skills (listening, speaking, and writing) is desirable.
- Ability to work in a team environment is desirable.- High degree of client orientation is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this job opening, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: P2
Contract duration: 1 Year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance).
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: New York City | Washington D.C
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-08-10