WASH Assistant- Community Mobilizer (National Position), Ramadi - Iraq
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the WASH Assistant- Community Mobilizer position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the WASH project. The WASH Assistant will report to WASH Officer.
The position will be based in Ramadi with some visits to project sites.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
The candidate should hold a Bachelor's degree with experience in related fields .The candidate should ideally have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English language is a must.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Advice/support the WASH committees and the sector on approaches for improving ownership, management and beneficiary participation in WASH activities.
- Train refugee staff, WASH committees and other relevant stakeholders/partners on WASH.
- Monitor and evaluate the participation, ownership and inclusiveness of refugees in decision making in WASH and assessment activities related to the project.
- Guide the WASH sector in the design and development of information, education and communication materials.
- Work with WASH team to promote co-operation and coordination as well as promoting effective supervision.
- Guiding the refugee service contract workers in planning and executing of mobilization activities
- Perform office and staff administration including organizing and holding regular staff meetings and briefings.
- Promote continuous involvement of the refugee community in sector work and assist community in addressing WASH.
- Carry out training need assessment for the community based social workers and utilize the finding s to develop training manuals/ packages.
- Identify own training needs and share with supervisor for necessary support where possible.
- Prepare activity weekly/monthly and quarterly activity reports for submission to WASH Officer.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field.
- Experience working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Possess ability to remain calm and professional when working under pressure.
The post will be for five (5) months contract duration with possible extension - subject to funds.
Salary :4/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary scale.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Ramadi with frequent visits to NRC project sites.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
For more information, please find attached the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Baghdad
- Grade: Services and Support
- Social studies
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-08-08