Individual Contractor: Mailing and Distribution Assistant, Temporary Appointment - 6 months
UNICEF’s Geneva Common Services (COS) Operations within the Private Fundraising and Partnerships Division (PFP), has an opportunity for a consultant to undertake regular and ad-hoc COS assignments in relation to UNICEF’s corporate engagement.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
Under the general supervision of the GS5 Maintenance Worker and Administrative Officer, responsible for determining the most cost and time effective way of dispatching out-going mail, pouch, DHL and packages, responsible for documentation, coordination with service-providers and UN, and for timely distribution of incoming mail, pouch and packages. Perform other daily duties within the Maintenance and Meeting Unit.
- Review dispatch request. Responsible for determining and providing guidance on the most cost effective way of dispatch and ensuring correct budget is provided. For orders handled internally, supervise, verify and manages the order, coordinating with external partners until final destination. Acts as back up and supports the Administrative Assistant in placing orders in the external partner’s system.
- For DHL, prepare independently dispatch and custom documents and follows up through internet dispatch status. Inform Units and consignees of shipment details as well as UN to enable to complete import free tax document. For POUCH dispatches, prepare shipment and complete UN POUCH forms in UN website. Responsible for controlling details of dispatches and informing consignees with copy to sender. Keep statistics for DHL and POUCH for monthly control of invoices. Responsible for checking and filing documents received from external partners and POUCH services on distribution matters.
- Manage custom clearance for UNICEF shipments: Coordinate with sections and various partners including UNOG in case of missing information or documents. Guide sections focal points on custom clearance processes and requested documents until delivery completion.
- Sort, deliver, and pick up mail from various offices on the premises at regular intervals (maximum twice a day). Keep records as required for specified deliveries
- Register, classifies and route incoming correspondence received through registered mail, DHL, Parcel service, using knowledge.
- Open new subject files, as required, and dispose old files in accordance with established retention schedule.
- Respond to the inquiries regarding files, correspondence and references.
- Pack materials received for dispatches, affixes labels, inserts material in envelopes and franks outgoing mail. Ensure packing is in line with existing regulations (air-freight, courier, pouch, etc…). Keeps abreast of existing regulations.
- Take initiative in ensuring proper follow-up with various offices and external partners dispatches,
- Work on specialized softwares such as UN MailOps, Redberry freight and SISA.
- Provide training to back-ups for this function including on specialized softwares.
- In the absence of IT/Telecom Assistant, responsible for pick up and distribution of faxes.
- Operate photocopying machines as back-up for the Administrative Assistant.
- Provide administrative support to the COS staff as needed.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- 1-2 years of professional experience preferably in the area of Postal Services, mailing and distribution is required.
- Knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Experience in administrative services is an asset.
- Completion of Secondary Education is required.
- Fluency in French and a working knowledge in English is a must.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-08-10