Communication Contractor (Open only for nationals of Kyrgyz Republic)
VNC/KIRA/30/2017. This vacancy is open only for Kyrgyz Nationals. Communication Contractor’s service is required to assist in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating an advocacy and communication strategy to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF's mission and objectives in the country, and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
Communication Contractor’s service is required to assist in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating an advocacy and communication strategy to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF's mission and objectives in the country, and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
Supporting in production of communication materials
- Support implementation of the tasks in the country communication workplan and strategy as assigned.
- Develop and implement communication strategies and plans for programmes and projects funded by various donors.
- Produce content for UNICEF social media accounts and updates for the web-site.
- Produce advocacy and communication materials (e.g. briefing notes, Q&As etc.) that meet the country and global standards as set out in the Communication Toolkit.
- Follow up on the production of advocacy and communication materials (e.g., films, videos, audio-visuals, etc.), and oversee the qualitative aspects of production, (e.g., quality control, translations, reviews of layout and graphic design etc.) to meet standards as set out in the Communication Toolkit.
Managing Media Relations and Media Partnerships
- Support maintaining and updating media relations contact list/database. Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media.
- Assist in developing and maintaining close collaboration with mass media, as well as with groups and organizations whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives.
- Assist in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human-interest stories and other advocacy/information materials in all media formats, as appropriate.
- Prepare background communication and promotional materials for briefing and visits of media, donors and other special interest groups. Assist in the planning, logistic and administrative arrangements for them.
- Assist in collaborating with the media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
Strengthening donor relations to promote children’s rights
- Regularly update and implement donor commitments calendar, design visibility and donor recognition plans and update their status of implementation.
- Provide communication support in producing human interest stories, photo essays etc. to recognize donors' support. Organize press tours and prepare comprehensive media packages.
- Provide quality insurance of branding compliance with UNICEF and partners' visibility requirements.
- Coordinate with donor focal points on proper branding and visibility activities.
Monitoring effectiveness of communication work
- Monitor and evaluate the appropriate and timely dissemination of advocacy and communication materials to target audiences, and participate in the evaluation of their impact. Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials.
- Monitor and fill UNICEF’s KPI table on quarterly basis
- Maintain a library of coverage (clippings, coverage etc.)
- Ensure good quality data collection, analysis, and evaluation, reporting to ensure effective communication strategies, planning, and effective and efficient advocacy.
- Undertake lessons learned review of successful and unsuccessful communication experiences as directed by supervisor.
- Ensure that the production of communication products and materials is timely executed and followed up to support country communication strategy, regional and global campaigns and priorities.
- Effective and timely professional assistance and support are provided in developing, drafting and maintaining contact information, materials and relationships with journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. – in the country, to communicate the story of UNICEF's cooperation to a wider audience.
- Ensure that all donor related programmes, projects have communication plans and their implementations is on track (UK Aid, UNAIDS, Government of Japan, DIPECHO). Effective management of donor relations with assigned focal points to ensure branding compliance with UNICEF and partners' visibility requirements.
- Regular monitoring and evaluation activities are undertaken according to the work plan to ensure maximum impact and continuous improvement of country communication efforts. Results and reports are prepared and shared on a timely basis.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Fluency in English and another UN language. Knowledge of Kyrgyz language is required.
- Good writing skills in Russian and English (please, provide a sample)
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure (please, submit a reference)
- Proven work experience in using social media (please, provide evidence)
- University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related field.
Years of relevant experience
- At least two years practical professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media or interactive digital media (please, provide portfolio or relevant information).
Competencies of Successful Candidate
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-08-08