Shelter Officer - Infrastructure Maintenance "Nationals Only" - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Infrastructure Maintenance Officer will manage the maintenance and the construction related activities in Azraq camp.
- Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to staff, specifies their individual work plans and evaluates individual team member’s performance. Or Provides directions, assigns tasks and gives instructions to daily laborers and/or contractors and evaluates individual performance.
- Supports the assigned staff in their professional development, identifies training needs, supports staff to achieve the objectives defined in their learning development plans.
- Monitors the progress of the activities of assigned staff and ensures they are implemented conform planning and quality standards.
- Develops with the assigned team, Monthly activity plans.
- Ensures compliance with NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Identify, analyses and evaluate processes and gaps in the implementation of activities and make recommendations for improvement.
- Reports over the achieved activities, provides analysis over the performed activities and signal bottlenecks.
- Responsible for the implementation of NRC’s Maintenance team activities in Azraq camp.
- Oversees the maintenance works including supervision of laborers working on the site, providing technical support as required to ensure technical quality and timely response.
- Updating relevant spreadsheets and databases for tracking and monitoring maintenance and construction team activities, progress and costs associated with the various tasks and preparing technical reports to monitor or evaluate ongoing or completed maintenance and construction work as requested.
- Supporting design projects, including the preparation and review of technical drawings, schematics and diagrams (including using computer aided drafting (Auto-Cad), developing clear specifications, Bills of Quantities and Scope of Works, and work plan as required.
- Supporting the procurement of goods or services required for the project; including the development of detailed specifications for goods/services needed, raising Purchase Requests, tracking their deliveries, conducting supplier visits or market surveys and verifying the receipt of goods to ensure they meet the specifications of the goods ordered and preparing Goods Received Notes (GRNs) and drafting and inputting into final works reports to verify the satisfactory completion of works.
- Coordinating with logistic and procurement teams to make sure that all PRs are delivered by them, to follow up on the delivering date and to compare all these documents with the PR tracker sent by them to make sure that all data are there.
- Sourcing and managing any casual laborers required to support the project, including the preparation of time sheets for laborers.
- Documenting all paper work for each project and task, (Work plan, Daily register sheets, handing over forms, Estimated BOQs, Design sheets, Technical Sheets, Actual BOQ, laborer sheets, and all related documents).
- Coordinating with UNHCR Technical unit for all requested tasks and projects, feeding them back when every there is a challenge faced and when the work is over through the official channels.
- Managing all tasks, preparing a logical work plan, and prioritizing them based on their urgency and based on the line manager feedback.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in Engineering, with a minimum of 2 years previous experience as a Site Engineer. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in the Middle East. Technical expertise relevant to the role. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Good level of English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: Through 31st December, 2017.
Salary/benefits: 1024 JD's Subject to Social Security and Income Tax.
Duty station: Azraq Camp
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Azraq
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-08-08