ICLA Project Coordinator (National Position), Erbil Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the ICLA Coordinator position is to manage and implement delegated portfolio of ICLA projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality..In addition, the Project Coordinator will be managing relations with local authorities and community leaders.In consultation with the ICLA PM, coordinates and facilitates capacity building straining for humanitarian partners, local authorities and displaced community leaders. The ICLA Coordinator will manage ICLA Officers.The position will be reporting to Project Manager.This position will be based in Erbil with frequent visits to NRC site operations.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
At least 3 years of experience in project management, including supervision of staff and ensuring compliance with internal policies and procedures..A University degree in law, and a license to practice law in Iraq .Experience from working as a project coordinator in humanitarian and recover/context. The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Fluency in spoken & written Kurdish , Arabic and English Languages . Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Line management of ICLA Officers, including Information & Counselling Officers, Legal Assistance Officers and/or HLP Officers
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to ICLA strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of ICLA projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated by ICLA Project Manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality of implementation
- Provide regular progress reports to ICLA Project Manager (ICLA PM)
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and assess new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activitiesEnsure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of displaced persons in line with the advocacy strategy
- In consultation with the ICLA PM, coordinate and facilitate capacity building trainings for humanitarian partners, local authorities and displaced community leaders
- Ensure compliance by the ICLA Officers with ICLA policies, and implementation of ICLA case management and M&E tools;
- Implement HR related processes (recruitment, orientation, training, performance appraisal) with respect to the ICLA Officers
- Ensure compliance by the ICLA Officers with NRC’s Human Resource, Financial, Logistics & Security policies and procedures, and amicably resolve any challenges that arise between the ICLA Officers and NRC’s support departments;
- Regularly attend relevant Protection Cluster/Sector meetings in area of operation to represent ICLA, gather and share information with partners, advocate on behalf of vulnerable displaced persons facing Registration/Civil Documentation (RCD) or Housing, Land & Property (HLP) challenges, and contribute to the provision of effective and timely humanitarian assistance to displaced persons
- Foster productive relationships between ICLA and local authorities / humanitarian partners
- Promote synergies between ICLA and other departments within NRC
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Excellent negotiator and very good communication skills.
- Very good contextual knowledge in areas of operations (Ninewa).
- Very good relations with the community leaders, local authorities and security forces.
- Experience with emergency response.
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
The post will be for five (4) months contract duration (with possibility of extension)-Subject to funds
Salary: 7/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: NRC Erbil Office with frequent visits to NRC site operations.
For more information, please find enclosed the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil (Iraq)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-08-20