Drivers -Multiple Retainer Contracts
Ramallah (Palestinian Territory)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women has played an innovative and catalytic role in the state of Palestine since its inception in 1997. UN Women Palestine focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely to support the implementation at the national level of existing international commitments to advance gender equality in line with national priorities. In support of this goal, and thoroughly taking into consideration to specificities of the Palestinian context, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realization of the following strategic goals: Engendering governance, peace and security; Supporting women’s economic security and rights; and Promoting women’s rights and protection against violence.
UN Women Palestine Office plans to recruit several drivers for the purpose of establishing retainer pool to provide reliable and safe driving services when needed and requested by UN Women. The Drivers should demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. The Drivers provide driving services and logistical support to the operations and programme staff in the office, consultants, project experts, and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
The drivers will be working under the guidance of the Special Representative, direct supervision of the Administrative Associate and will undertake the following duties and responsibilities.
Main tasks, duties and responsibilities:
- Ensure provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items; b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, handling visa and customs formalities arrangements when required and c) following and applying UN security rules and regulations while in the field;
- Ensure cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, , timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc;
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts, approved security clearances of staff, alerting UNDSS radio room ahead of planned field visits;
- Ensure that all immediate actions are taken in case of involvement in accidents, according to UN rules and regulations;
- Provide logistical support and clerical assistance to operations and programme team when requested by a) liaising with the Insurance Company on vehicle insurance and yearly checkup; and b) training staff on using VHF radio and submitting security clearances.
- Provide driving services to UNW Jerusalem office when needed; act as alternative driver supporting other UNW Programmes/projects in the absence of other UNW drivers; and
- Perform other duties as required.
The contract will be a retainer contract where payments will be processed based on actual hours worked
- Professionalism; and
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement; and
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Knowledge of the relevant international frameworks pertaining to gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as gender mainstreaming and gender analysis;
- Knowledge of the development, humanitarian, women’s rights and human rights context in the Arab States region and Palestine is highly desirable;
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Excellent facilitation and coordination skills;
- Ability to communicate sensitively across different focal points;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills; and
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver;
- Valid Israeli driving license; preferably public driver’s license;
- Safe driving record for last three years;
- Previous working experience with International NGOs or UN organizations; and
- Experience in minor vehicle repair is considered an asset.
Fluency in Arabic (spoken and written), and working knowledge of English. Knowledge in Hebrew is considered an advantage.
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this position should provide a CV in English providing full details on education, present and past employment/ jobs for the last 3 years, language skills, and how they meet the above mentioned qualification criteria etc. A copy of the valid driving license and safe driving record for last three years should be attached. The system allows attaching only one document, so all above documents should be scanned in one document, black and white.
Shortlisted will be requested to provide three references, and attend an interview.
UN Women applies fair and transparent selection process that takes into account the competencies/skills of the applicants. An offer will be provided to those who pass the technical scoring (at least 75/100) based on a pre-determined hour rate. Those who accept the offer, will be issued a contract for 12 months extendable for additional 12 months upon satisfactory evaluation and need of service.
Evaluation criteria is as follows:
- Secondary Education (10 points)
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver (15 points)
- Safe driving record for last three years (20 points);
- Previous working experience with International NGOs or UN organizations (20 points)
- Interview: (35 points)
UN Women will establish several individual contracts (up to USD 30,000) with several candidates for the above mentioned services. At the time of service needed, UN Women will be calling the candidates and select the available candidate. There is no guarantee that UN Women will pay the full amount of contract during the contract period, UN Women will process payments against services receipted upon request and assessed as fully satisfactorily received.