Communications Officer (Social Media)
UN Women Pakistan provides technical advisory and support to the delivery and implementation of gender equality and women’s empowerment agenda in Pakistan. UN Women is uniquely positioned to support initiatives of the government and non-governmental organizations leading towards a full realization of gender equality and women’s empowerment commitments in line with the national and international gender equality and human rights commitments. UN Women provides support to innovative initiatives that promote women’s human rights with special focus on their economic security, political participation, and freedom from violence.
In the six years of its existence, UN Women has firmly established itself as the global champion for gender equality, working to develop and uphold standards and create an environment in which every woman and girl can exercise her human rights and live up to her full potential. We are trusted partners for advocates and decision-makers from all walks of life, and a leader in the effort to achieve gender equality.
Propelled by consistent UN Women advocacy, women’s empowerment, women’s rights and gender equality have been recognized as central to the Sustainable Development Agenda and Goals adopted in September 2015. In the words of UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, “gender inequality now has an expiry date of 2030”.
UN Women’s communications and public advocacy efforts have been an integral part of the organization’s positioning. Proactive and strong expansion of its global and country-level reach through both traditional and new communications channels have established brand recognition and ensured visibility of our work.
UN Women, in raising visibility of its programme work in Pakistan with real-time audience engagement, launched its social media platforms (namely Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) in mid-November 2016. Within its first four months, the Facebook page alone has just under 20,000 followers.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of and with direct supervision of the Head of the Communications Unit, the Communications Officer (Social Media) will play an active role in producing relevant information, communications and social media activities related to the overall activities of UN Women in Pakistan, and in particular:
- Content creation
- Prepare draft posts (messages/tweets, infographics, videos, event updates, etc.) using photo and video editing on UN Women Pakistan’s programmes and activities, and schedule them for approval via HootSuite and Facebook scheduling
- Research additional content on women’s empowerment and gender equality and schedule them for approval via HootSuite and Facebook scheduling
- Support design of and implement social media campaigns for UN Women particularly around International Women’s Day and 16 Days of Activism to end Gender-Based Violence
- Identify opportunities and develop public interaction to promote UN Women’s activities, through online events, ‘live’ Facebook and Twitter chats, etc.
- Monitoring social media activity.
- Monitor social media accounts:
- Monitor mentions for reposting and retweeting.
- Monitor the social media accounts for questions, and flag them to the Head of Communications.
- Monitor the social media accounts for negative comments, and flag them to the Head of Communications
- Analyse social media activity and prepare analytical reports with recommendations to enhance outreach, engagement and growth of UN Women Pakistan’s social media platforms and website
- Social Media Plan Implementation.
- Ensure implementation of the social media plan, with a minimum of 2-3 weeks advance content development and scheduling
- Conceptualize new ways for UN Women Pakistan to engage in social networks
- Monitor feedback and respond to social media followers providing accurate information, as cleared by Senior Management
- Network building.
- Establish, maintain and develop a strong UN Women Pakistan presence in the country and region through various social media networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Flickr etc. and the Country Office website;
- Build information networks and interact with followers/supporters to engage and develop audiences
- Develop and sustain partnerships with internal and external partners, including private sector for successful implementation of UN Women Pakistan’s social media plan
- Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
- Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious workingrelations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and gender;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; ability to maintain composure and remain helpful towards the staff, but objective, without showing personal interest; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability and willingness to operate independently in austere, remote and potentially hazardous environments for protracted periods, involving physical hardship and little comfort, and including possible extensive travel within the area of operations; willingness to transfer to other duty stations within area of operations as may be necessary;
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree (Bachelors or equivalent) in Communications, Journalism, International Affairs, Humanities, Arts or any other relevant discipline.
Required Experience: minimum years of experience 2
- Proven experience in communications, writing and photo/video editing
- Proven experience in the strategic use and monitoring of social media
- Proficient in using new technologies and web-based platforms and social media networks.
- Familiar with women’s rights issues
- Some experience with corporate brand management and private sector an asset
- Self-starter; organized, and able to multi-task and balance multiple responsibilities.
Additional Requirements for Area of Expertise:
- Dynamic, creative and multi-functional, who supports the Unit with professionalism, dedication and client orientation
- Ability to work in a demanding and time-bound environment
- In-depth knowledge of online technology (social media) and
- Excellent writing and design skills
Further more UN Volunteers are encouraged to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- Raised visibility and increased audience interaction of UN Women’s work in Pakistan, regionally and globally through the organizations social media and web platforms.
- Daily content generation (editorial, development and design of updates and news feeds – graphics and creativity) and uploads to UN Women Pakistan’s social media platforms (linked to the Country Office website where required).
Duration of assignment is 12 months which could be extended subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
Travel to duty station (if applicable) and a Settling-In-Grant will be provided in the event duty station is not within commuting distance from the place of recruitment. A Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) of PKR 58,961 is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses. Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included (health insurance for up to three (3) dependents), as well as final repatriation (if applicable) and resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
The United Nations Volunteers programme (UNV) is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.