Deputy Executive Director
Deputy Executive Director
Grade IS – 7 Duty station Songdo, Incheon - Korea Contract type 3 years Number of posts 1 Recruitment type International
Unit Portfolio Management Unit Closing date 15 September 2017 Reporting to Head of Portfolio Management Vacancy code GCF/Recruit/218 The Green Climate Fund (“the Fund”) is a new multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
The Fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, the Fund will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, considering the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change. The Fund will pursue a country-driven approach in its operations. The Fund is governed by a Board, composed of an equal representation of developed and developing countries; the Board oversees the operation of all relevant components of the Fund. The Fund is serviced by an independent Secretariat, which is accountable to the Board and headed by an Executive Director. The Secretariat, which is accountable to the Board, is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Fund, and is located at the Fund’s headquarters in Songdo, Incheon City, in the Republic of Korea. The Fund is seeking an exceptional person who will take up the challenge of joining a high-performing organization at the leading edge of the financing of climate action in developing countries. Position description
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Executive Director will lead the Secretariat’s highly professional team, taking responsibility for the day to day operations of the Fund including project review and implementation and all support services, thereby supporting the Executive Director in his/her key strategic role of furthering the development of the Fund and its relations with stakeholders and partners. Duties and responsibilities
Overseeing the work of a highly professional team of Directors and Heads, the DED will: • Continue to develop and build the Fund’s operations to deliver on the vision and strategy set by the GCF Board, including:
- The programming and project cycle; - Funding criteria, modalities, policies and programmes; - Administration and financial management;
- Environmental and social safeguards, and fiduciary principles and standards;
- Portfolio management and oversight;
- Arrangements for replenishment processes; and
- A framework for monitoring and evaluation of performance and financial accountability of activities supported by the Fund.
• Support the Executive Director to organise and execute all administrative duties with regard to the governance of the Fund, including the preparation for meetings of the Board and its subsidiary bodies; • Continue to recruit and retain a high performing cadre of international and local professional staff for the Secretariat, sufficient to enable it to achieve its objectives, and create an integrated and united Secretariat team;
• Build a strong organisational culture and ensure high levels of staff engagement with the Fund, managing performance and encouraging continuous learning;
• Develop the work program and annual Administrative Budget of the Secretariat, and report on the Fund’s activities;
• Act as the Executive Director in the case of his/her absence..
Expected experience and qualifications*
• At least 15 years of relevant experience operational experience with international, multicultural organisations, either private or public sector;
• A substantial record of achievements in a similarly complex and demanding senior role involving both leadership and management responsibilities;
• Evidence of determination and the ability to overcome obstacles to deliver results in a dynamic environment;
• Familiarity with the many dimensions of the global challenge of climate change and at least a broad understanding of current developments in climate finance;
• Proven operational experience with a range of financial instruments (such as grants, technical assistance, guarantees, concessional loans and equity) and complex financial structures; • Evidence of robust, efficient and accountable financial management at a senior level; • Ability to work both at the strategic and operational levels;
• Strong analytical skills and the decisiveness and creativity to solve problems of varied types; • Absolute integrity with an open and fair-minded management style;
• Strong communication and advocacy skills; able to engage and motivate A diverse range of stakeholders;
• Well-developed policy and political judgement and understanding of the Fund’s multi-dimensional work challenges;
• Evidence of success as a supportive and empowering leader; and
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references.
• Planning and Organizing
• Building trust
• CommunicationHow to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: email@example.com
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Peterson, Anna)
Subject line: “Deputy Executive Director”
Upon submission of your application, you will receive an automatic e-mail acknowledging receipt of your application. Should you not receive a response, however, please check your spam/clutter mail before resubmitting your application. Please also ensure to use the correct spelling for the subject line of your e-mail. Thank you.
- Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
- Location: Incheon
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-08-30