CON 2017/57 - IM/GIS Consultant (Information Management System) - Erbil, Iraq
Position Title IM/GIS Consultant (Information Management System) Duty Station :Erbil, Iraq
Classification Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 21 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the overall guidance of the Data Management Unit (DMU) Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Head of Information Management System, the successful candidate is responsible for the provision of support to the information management and geographic information system activities of the Information Management System of the IOM mission in Iraq.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Prepare, design and generate maps and other spatial information products, in liaison with Information Management staff or Project Assistant of each project to provide the infographics products for the IOM mission in Iraq.
2. Manage the workload scheduling, data validation and to ensure deadlines are met and deliverables are in line with agreed standards related to GIS products. 3. Perform quality control and quality assurance tasks, particularly in relation to GIS data, to ensure high data quality throughout the entire data management pipeline from the moment of collection to publication sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels. 4. Support the preparation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) on spatial data infrastructure and geodatabases development in IOM Iraq in coordination with the DTM GIS unit.
5. Maintain geospatial datasets and atlases for reporting and deployment of IOM Iraq emergency operations and support the establishment of an integrated Geo-server database for the mission.
6. Communicate with partners including UN Agencies, NGOs, Governmental bodies and others in matters related to data and information management, sharing and publication. 7. Participate in hub level Inter-Cluster Information Management Working Group and other relevant working groups and support in liaising with external partners locally in relation to GIS work needs and coordination.
Page 1 / 38. Ensure the effective use of the designated information system, including Iraq data portal, DTM portal and application tools, and other databases to manage the implementation of geospatial information management mechanism.
9. Identify gaps on spatial data and information relevant to the emergency response operation and community revitalization activities.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in information systems, geography, cartography or a related field with concentration in technology applications
• Experience in using Database Information Systems (SQL Server or MySQL).
• Proficiency of ArcGIS tools (good working knowledge of spatial analyst tool), Arc Map, ArcGIS Online is mandatory;
• Experience in geography, cartography, GIS and graphic design capability (Adobe Illustrator); • Preferably, relevant experience with UN agencies or INGO’s on relevant programs; • Understanding of GPS field data collection practices and the ability to train non-technical staff in field data collection techniques;
• Ability to understand and integrate data into a GIS/Spatial environment.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of local languages an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Page 2 / 3• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 21 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 14.08.2017 to 21.08.2017
Requisition: CON 2017/57 - IM/GIS Consultant (Information Management System) - Erbil, Iraq (55146616) Released
Posting: Posting NC55146617 (55146617) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Meteorology, Geology and Geography
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-08-21