Set Design Consultant for Blockchain Live Test and Simulation.
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is committed to the achievement of equality between women, men, boys and girls as partners and beneficiaries of humanitarian action. UN Women is leading and coordinating the United Nations System to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It is providing strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women has established an Innovation Facility that strengthens UN Women’s internal innovation capacity; supports UN Women design, implement and assess technology prototypes; and develops sustainability plans. UN Women also has a Humanitarian Action & Crises Response Unit to consolidate its normative and coordination work, crises management function and rapid response as well as crises preparedness and resilience.
The past 10 years has seen several important normative developments relating to humanitarian action and the transition from response, to recovery, resilience and preparedness. The consolidated commitments to gender equality and women’s empowerment formulated in the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, the SDGs and Security Council Resolution 2242 on Women’s Peace and Security are particularly significant. Furthermore, five World Humanitarian Summit’s core commitments aims to integrate gender equality and women’s empowerment into the humanitarian agenda.
UN Women is working to improve the tools to promote and protect the human rights of women, girls, boys and men in humanitarian action. UN Women has partnered with Innovation Norway to explore the potential benefits of blockchain technology for humanitarian response. Blockchain is a distributed database of immutable digital records that can be accessed from anywhere and that can store anything securely. Blockchain technology allows for an unprecedented level of information sharing between humanitarian agencies by providing a common link between various databases. In addition, the distributed ledger system will also foster greater transparency and accountability while reducing potential duplication of efforts. If the challenge of tracking financial aid flows for a mobile and transitory beneficiary can be solved it may open the door for the possibility of delivering cash aid securely via cryptocurrency mechanisms. Blockchain also offers users the ability to build and maintain immutable and secure personal records and to directly transfer digital assets without the need for intermediaries and associated costs. Leveraging these qualities would enable women to build an economic identity as well as a safe record of their interaction with a range of humanitarian actors across borders. In line with international commitments to improve the effectiveness and cost efficiency of aid programs, blockchain offers the potential to vertically integrate the various elements of humanitarian assistance provided to women and girls, thereby improving its coherence, effectiveness and efficiency.
UN Women will arrange a Blockchain Live Test and Simulation event for live testing in a laboratory setting of a set of mature blockchain technologies. Within this context, UN Women will recruit a Set Design consultant with previous experience in leading the design of ‘experience rooms’ for high level events and experience working in development context including crises countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose and Objective of the Consultancy
The purpose of this consultancy is to prepare, design and establish a Refugee Setting Design for a Blockchain Workshop Laboratory in New York, including layout for hand-out materials. The objective is to establish a ‘Experience Room’ for laboratory live testing of blockchain technology.
The selected consultant will work under the overall guidance of the Chief of the Humanitarian Unit and in close coordination with the UN Women Innovation Unit and the Blockchain Consultant, and other UN Women staff, key stakeholders and partners. The consultant will also work in close consultation and coordination with UN Women’s Communication Team.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities
The scope of work is to:
- Liaise with UN Women for photos, videos and sounds for the use during the workshop.
- Plan a realistic set design for lab testing of blockchain interventions addressing cash based transfers, and civic identity challenges regarding registration papers, land titles etc.
- Collaborate with UN Women Procurement Unit for procuring goods/services for the Set Design
- Design and build the Set and support UN Women in the management of the Set Design during the blockchain workshop.
- Develop logo, hashtags and design promotion material for the Blockchain Laboratory and Live Testing.
The consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs:
View the Space for the workshop and laboratory in New York and discuss with partners and UN Women Communication Team and field based colleagues, Draft the Set Design, identify and procure goods/services from potential service providers in discussion with UN Women Procurement Unit (5 days)
- Design the Set including wall decorations, banners, photos, videos, ambient sound and experience rooms (home based) (10 days)
- Monitor the design of the material and build the Set on location in New York (5 days)
- Manage the Set during the Workshop in New York (5 days)
- Proven ability to design and implement relevant and targeted initiatives
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships with a variety of stakeholders and develop inter-institutional coordination and communication mechanisms.
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Core Values and Ethics
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and able to work in a multi-national environment
- Support the Organization’s corporate goal
- Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Build effective client relationships and partnerships
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Build and share knowledge
- Make valuable practice contributions
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Listen actively and respond effectively
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
Required Skills and Experience
Required Skills and Experience of Consultant
- University Degree in Graphic Design, Arts or related topic
- At least 7 years of experience in the use of graphic art in communications; arts, graphic design, photography or related fields;
- Demonstrated experience in working with different media including photography, graphic arts, communication material and installations;
- Demonstrated experience in leading the design of innovative installations for high level international events, and implementing these installations at these events;
- Experience in developing innovative means of communication;
- Experience in developing exhibitions, material and experience rooms in developing contexts reflecting development challenges, including experience in a crises context;
- Excellent rapport in understanding culturally diverse audiences for messaging;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a minimum of guidance while seeing consensus, and ability to deliver on target and on time.
- Fluency in the English language required, with strong, confident command of both written and oral English.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide a copy of their portfolio with relevant works, or internet links to events that can demonstrate the above.