Consultancy: Data Analysis on Adolescents and HIV/AIDS
The HIV/AIDS section, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office is seeking an individual consultant to provide technical assistance to the HIV/AIDS Section through the following tasks: 1) review and finalize the overviews on the situation of adolescents/young key populations (A/YKP) at risk of HIV for Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, 2) support the data analysis workshops in China and Indonesia as the main facilitator and submit key recommendations for COs and governments after the workshop, and 3) provide technical support to Philippines on the conduct of the Integrated Biological and Behavioural Surveillance.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Develop overviews on the situation of adolescent at risk of HIV in Indonesia and Papua New Guinea and finalize the situational analysis in discussion with the HIV team.
- Prepare agenda for the data analysis workshops to be organized in China and Indonesia in discussion with the HIV team.
- Facilitate the data analysis workshops and submit a set of key recommendations for further discussions with the country offices, UN and government partners.
- Technical support on Integrated HIV Bio-behavioural Surveillance (Philippines).
For the first, second and third assignment are highlighted below. Work schedule for the follow up tasks after finalizing the overviews and the data analysis workshops will be notified after discussions with the country offices and the government partners in the first quarter of 2018.
Work schedule for the first task - Draft overviews on adolescents at risk of HIV in Indonesia and Papua New Guinea:
- Develop overview based on available and facility level data ( 2 - 30 October 2017)
- Feedback to be provided by the HIV team (1-4 November 2017)
- Finalize overviews on the situation of adolescents at risk of HIV (15 November 2017)
Time allocation for Task 1: The Consultant will work for 6 days (3 days for each overview) between 2 October – 15 November 2017.
Work schedule for the second task – Data Analysis workshop on adolescents and HIV in China and Indonesia
Background preparations: 2 days – 5 November
Prepare and lead the five-day Data Analysis workshop: 5 days – mid November
Develop report template: 1 day - Early December
Support finalization of the report 4 days – End January 2018
Total number of days: 12 days
Background preparations: 2 days – Early October
Prepare and lead the three-day Data Analysis workshop: 3 days each – Mid October (Dates TBC)
Prepare recommendations: 1 day – 15 April 2017
Total number of days: 6 days
Time allocation for Task 2: The Consultant will work for 18 days over a period between 2 October 2017 – 15 February 2018.
Work schedule for the third task – Technical support to planning for Integrated Bio-behavioural Surveillance in Philippines
Submission of recommendations (online consultations) - 1st round 30 November 2017
Submission of recommendations (online consultations) – 2nd round 2 March 2018
Time allocation for Task 3: The Consultant will work for 8 days over a period between 2 October 2017 – 31 March 2018.
Estimated Duration of Contract: 2 October 2017 – 2 October 2018
The duration for the tasks to follow after the data analysis workshops will be notified after discussions with the country offices and the government partners in the first quarter of 2018. All tasks will be completed on or before 2 September 2018.
- Final situational overviews of adolescents at risk of HIV in Papua New Guinea and Indonesia.
- Final concept note/agenda, power point presentations for the Data Analysis workshop and submission of final recommendations after the workshop.
- Recommendations for the Integrated Bio-behavioural Surveillance (Philippines).
Deliverables for the first, second and third work assignments are highlighted above. Deliverables for tasks to follow after the three assignments will be notified after discussions with the country offices and the government partners in the first quarter of 2018.
Official Travel: Travel to China and Indonesia.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required:
- Advanced degree in public health, epidemiology, demography, social science, health, economics or health financing or related field.
- Strong experience and understanding of the following standardized surveys that collect adolescent data; e.g. Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS), Demographic and Health Survey (DHS), second generation surveillance surveys in key populations; e.g. Integrated Biological and Behavioural Surveillance (IBBS), Biological and Behavioural Survey (BBS), etc.
- Strong experience of working with governments in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills.
- Extensive professional knowledge and experience in HIV, with significant technical expertise and experience on the issue of adolescents/young key populations.
- Good communication skills, including writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines under pressure.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P-11, full contact information of minimum 2 references, a relevant work sample, availability, and proposed daily professional fee in USD by 28 August 2017.
Only short listed candidates will be notified.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-08-28