Background Information - Job-specific
Recently, the UNOPS, UN Development Programme (UNDP) and UN Women developed the joint programme in Bangladesh which aims to sustain the resilience of human and economic development in Bangladesh through inclusive, gender responsive disaster management and risk informed environment. This joint programme focuses on developing national capacities in the areas of risk-informed and render-responsive development planning, capacities to address mega disasters in gender responsive manner, improved capacities of selected public institutions to achieve resilient institutions through risk-informed, gender-responsive infrastructure systems, enhance women’s leadership disaster response and management; and finally, to strengthen community-level preparedness, response and recovery capacities.
Under the Joint Programme, UNOPS, in particular, is providing technical assistance to Local Government Engineering Department (LGED) and other public institutions to achieve resilience outcomes through designing and constructing risk-informed, gender responsive infrastructure system and lay the foundations for long-term resilience actions in socially inclusive infrastructure systems in Bangladesh. In particular, UNOPS will contribute to the achievement of the overall programme by:
- Strengthening LGED asset management system and decision making capacities for determining priorities associated with new development, maintenance and/or retrofitting of existing assets;
- Strengthening project evaluation criteria and capacities within LGED and other divisions, improve coordination and reduce duplication;
- Creating an applied understanding and capacity to introduce the concept of failure analysis to enhance build-back-better in reconstruction;
- Strengthening LGED professional capacities for Junior and mid-level engineers in the areas of design, construction and management/maintenance of resilient infrastructures;
The overall purpose of the assignment is to contribute to a strong technical guidance, capacity building and improved organizational effectiveness of LGED in the development and piloting of frame works, methodologies for resilience building in infrastructure. This post will entail technical thought leadership in resilient infrastructure and strong bias towards capacity building and knowledge transfer. The objective is to work closely with counterparts in LGED and other experts to increase knowledge and applied understanding of resilience in the context of government department.
The infrastructure advisor will support the Chief Technical Advisor/Team Leader in working closely with international and local experts towards the development of manuals and capacity building tools on resilient infrastructures. He/She will be the technical link between LGED and all other experts for developing/mainstreaming resilience within LGED’s policies and standards. In addition, he/she will support the CTA/Team Leader in strengthening of strategic partnerships with UNOPS, LGED and Donors.
The National Infrastructure Advisor will also be expected to act as technical resource person in the conduct of capacity building training and workshops for to LGED Engineers and other partners in the aspects related to infrastructure planning, design, implementation and standards.
Contribute to development and piloting of frameworks, tools and methodologies for resilience building in infrastructure systems of LGED
- Provide the local context/ local specific applications/ customizations of the UNOPS tools on -resilience building infrastructure (asset management, failure analysis, build-back-better approaches)
- Work closely with the international experts in the development, implementation and roll out of the different approaches and methodologies
- Lead in the advisory technical link and coordination between international experts and LGED, ensuring pilot frameworks, tools and methodologies are relevant, applicable, customized while ensuring it follows international best practice and standards;
Support the development of manuals and other capacity building tools for increasing knowledge and applied understanding of resilience;
- Facilitate the technical consultations, reviews and workshops together with international experts on standardizing policies related to designs, compliance, quality assurance and project implementation on gender sensitive resilient infrastructure
- Ensure customization, co-development, ownership and capacity transfer in the development related manuals, processes and tools
- Provides content reviews and advise on the tools, processes and standards developed;
- Coordinate with Team Leader and experts on the all technical training, workshops content designs, approach and program.
Support the development and implementation of professional program for LGED junior and mid-level engineers
- Provide technical input to the team in developing the professional program curriculum of LGED Engineers
- Lead in the review and provide input on the technical aspect of the professional program for engineers
- Support technical content delivery related as maybe agreed and required
Provide advisory and technical support in strengthening strategic partnerships of UNOPS among key stakeholders
- Provide technical support to the Team Lead in identification of needs and opportunities for partnership where UNOPS can engage to be able to support resilient national infrastructure development
- Identify needs and opportunities for partnership where UNOPS can engage to be able to support resilient national infrastructure development,
- Create concepts and ideas (thought leadership) which can be shared with donors for funding;
- Support the design of new projects and the initial phases of new projects.
- Represent the CTA/Team Leader in infrastructure related meetings/conferences/joint UN Programs in Bangladesh as maybe requested
- Master’s/Advanced degree in Civil Engineering or other relevant discipline is required.
- Additional years of experience with a Bachelor's degree may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- A minimum of five years (or more depending on educational qualification) of relevant experience in civil engineering and organizational capacity development in large infrastructure organizations/institutions, including at a strategic level, is required.
- Experience in working on projects along themes: resilient infrastructure, Climate Change, DRR and Risk Management
- Extensive experience in providing high-level advisory services to government institutions in Bangladesh;
- Extensive experience in engaging and negotiating with government in developing countries;
- Excellent understanding of building codes and quality standards in the construction of public infrastructure from various countries, and of implementation/enforcement challenges;
- International organisations experience is desired;
- Experience facilitation, development and delivery of technical trainings and workshops
- Excellent understanding of participatory processes and national capacity building approach, desired.
- Fluency in English & Bengali is essential (must be able to effectively communicate in both oral and written)
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-08-29
Nay Pyi Taw | Kenya (Myanmar)
Gaza (Palestinian Territory)
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position