IT Service Desk Assistant
Bangkok | Bangkok
Background Information - Job-specific
The Unite Service Desk in Bangkok provides around-the-clock support for all the applications supported by the Unite Service Desk. As a member of the Unite Service Desk in Bangkok, the incumbent will be required to work as per the assigned day or evening or night shift to provide assistance. In addition, the incumbent may be asked to work during weekends and public holidays, and to attend training sessions outside of normal shift hours. The incumbent will work at ESCAP premises in Bangkok or from home if requested by the management team.
Background Information – Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) / Unite Service Desk in Bangkok (USD-BKK)
The United Nations Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Strategy (A/69/517) is an ambitious road map to transform ICT across the UN Secretariat. Successful implementation will lead to enhanced overall effectiveness and improved efficiency. Help desks are a critical organizational resource, therefore, the Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) is leading the way in transforming them into a more efficient global shared-service model.
Since 2014, the global Unite Service Desk provides around-the-clock support for key UN applications such as Umoja, iNeed, Unite Connections, Unite Docs, Unite Identity, Inspira, UN Careers, Contingent-Owned Equipment System (eCOE), Electronic Fuel Management System (eFMS-2), Citrix, EarthMed, UN Examinations and Tests system, DSS Portal and DSS Training Portal. Unite Service Desk is handling more than 140,000 service requests per year.
Organized as a virtual service desk with teams in Bangkok, Nairobi, Geneva and New York, the Unite Service Desk provides a single point of contact (e.g., online forms, generic email address and hotline) to UN personnel and also to users who do not work for the UN.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships: This position is located in the Bangkok hub of the Unite Service Desk. Under the general supervision of the Hub Manager, the incumbent reports to the Hub Supervisor and Shift Lead.
Responsibilities: The incumbent will be employed to specifically undertake the following duties:
- Work in a shift as per the roster. The service operates on a 24/7/365 basis. Shift duty is mandatory including nights, weekends and public holidays.
- Provide Tier 1 support to users for all the systems supported by the Unite Service Desk (USD), including Inspira, Umoja and iNeed; follow up with Tier 2 and Tier 3 agents on incident resolution or request fulfilment as per established procedures.
- Act as focal point for receipt, analysis and processing of user requests; maintain regular contact with users and technical staff in user offices as well as with other USD hubs (in Geneva, Nairobi, and New York).
- Participate in the analysis of user requests; escalate service request to the relevant teams for handling; provide appropriate responses/guidance.
- Assist in testing and evaluating new products and technologies.
- Keep abreast of latest Service Desk procedures and technology; conduct research on new technologies as requested.
- Perform other duties as required.
Deliverables and Timeline
- Provide Tier 1 support for all applications supported by the USD Bangkok hub.
- Conduct business and system analysis and provide resolutions to the user community.
- Coordinate requests with escalation teams and other Tier 1 Hubs' specialists, when required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
High school diploma or equivalent is required. A Bachelor or master’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field is desirable. Additional training in the field of Service Management and/or certification in ITIL is desirable.
- Minimum 4 years of progressively responsible experience in information systems or application support, systems analysis, systems administration and maintenance, functional or technical customer support is required for a holder of a High School diploma. A relevant BA or a MA degree may substitute for some of the required years of experience respectively.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience in 24/7 operations is required.
- Experience in providing functional support to Enterprise Resources Planning systems, such as SAP, PeopleSoft/Oracle, Siebel CRM, is required.
- Knowledge and understanding of UN administrative procedures and practice in human resources, finance and budget, procurement, travel is highly desirable.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
The candidate must have the ability to independently conduct analysis/assessment on the issues/problems and to provide effective and quality solutions. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 4
Contract duration: 1 Year, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funds availability.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bangkok | Bangkok
- Grade: LICA-4, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-08-28