Senior Analyst - Durable Solutions Platform
Who are we?
The search for durable solutions to the protracted displacement stemming from the Syrian crisis is a key humanitarian and development necessity for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). This search for durable solutions is a regional, cross-border issue and demands a multi-sectorial response that goes beyond the existing humanitarian agenda. The discussion around the options and rights of the displaced are highly politicised.
DRC, IRC, and NRC have recently established the Durable Solutions Platform (DSP). The objective of this platform is to generate knowledge and promote dialogue and strategic programme approaches to the long term future of Syrian refugees and internally displaced people based on international best practice and principles for preparing and supporting durable solutions for people in displacement.
The platform’s work consists of research, stakeholder engagement, advocacy and liaison with civil society. The platform’s research assists NGOs in setting joint programmatic principles and strategies, continue advocacy work, develop guidance on mechanisms for cross border programming, and take this common approach for leverage with donors and stakeholders.
The platform consists of a small team and is hosted by the DRC regional office in Amman, Jordan.
About the job
The platform is seeking to hire a temporary senior analyst to strengthen the team in the consolidation of a durable solutions policy framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy development (70%)
- Based on the platform's research, consultations with stakeholders and in line with best practices, consolidate a policy framework for durable solutions in the Syrian crisis
- Provide advice and support on the development of assessment tools, operational guidelines, programming priorities and coordination mechanisms for durable solutions in the Syria response
- Provide advice and support on the development of a regional advocacy strategy for durable solutions
- Consult and liaise at a strategic level with platform partners, UN agencies and coordination platforms on durable solutions strategies. This will entails significant regional travel.
- Develop and facilitate capacity building initiatives, seminars, workshops, and conferences on durable solutions
To be successful in this role you must have:
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in social science, political science, international relations, humanitarian law, migration, or related field
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to easily establish and maintain relationships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Experience in policy development, humanitarian programming, experience with durable solutions programming and/ or humanitarian coordination strongly preferred
- Understanding of the regional forced migration dynamics in MENA
- Proven quantitative and qualitative data analysis skills
- At least 5-7 years' of relevant technical, analytical, programming, reporting experience with progressive responsibility working with activities of similar scope and scale.
- Experience in the MENA region
- Fluent in English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 5 months contract. You must be available to start work from October 2017 and be willing and able to work in Amman.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.org under Vacancies. This position will be placed at A13 level for Expatriates.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 30 August 2017.
Please note: Due to the urgency to fill the post, recruitment will be done on the rolling basis and DRC reserves the right to recruit before the deadline.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-08-30