UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s human rights globally. Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations and focus on mobilizing efforts towards the effective implementation of UN resolution 1325 (2000), 2122 (2013) and related resolutions which commit the international community to ensure women’s participation and leadership in all aspects of conflict resolution and peace building related activities. UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women established its presence in Yemen in 2014 working in close collaboration with the UN system providing coordination and programme support to strengthen the UN response to addressing national priorities for gender equality and women’s empowerment, in line with UN Women’s strategic vision. UN Women in Yemen has entered into a partnership with UN entities in the country to support women’s engagement in Yemen’s current transition focusing on supporting women’s effective engagement in Yemen’s transition, and to support women and children in need to receive basic assistance.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Programme Manager, the Operations Associate carries out varied and inter-related operational, financial and logistical activities ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Operations Associate is results and client oriented producing administrative services of the highest quality in a timely and proactive fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.Contribute technically to the operations in the CO in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and policies and strategies:
- Contribute to an annual workplan for the Operations Team and assist with its implementation and monitoring;
- Participate in review meetings and provide support to the assessment of the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners in collaboration with the programme and technical team;
- Provide substantive inputs to business process mapping and the establishment of internal standard operating procedures in all areas of the Operations Team’s functions;
- Provide substantive inputs to the implementation of corporate, budget, financial, procurement, and HR policies and systems and support in the training of staff in Country Office these issues;
- Provide technical support and guidance to Country Office on operational issues;
- Ensure a continuous and up-to-date flow of information between the Regional Office and Country Office.
2.Contribute technically to the planning, expenditure tracking and auditing of financial resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and policies and strategies:
- Oversee and monitor the tracking and auditing of financial resources for CO.;
- Provide substantive inputs to the management of office and programme financial resources while exercising proper financial controls;
- Review and verify accuracy and relevancy of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports;
- Maintain data in Atlas;
- Prepare for internal and external audits and coordinating implementation of audit action plan by drafting periodic status update reports and collating supporting documents.
3.Contribute technically to the provision of Human Resources services in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and corporate policies and strategies:
- Provide substantive inputs to recruitment processes and contract management; liaise with the HQ as necessary;
- Provide technical support to CO as necessary and in collaboration with the HR Associate;
4.Contribute technically to procurement processes in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and corporate policies and strategies:
- Monitor and track CO transactions, as necessary, and in collaboration with the Procurement Analyst;
- Review procurement processes including submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee and Advisory Committee on Procurement;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of procurement plans;
- Ensure proper inventory control of assets and liabilities.
5.Coordinate the audit process in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Coordinate the pre-audit preparations for the CO to be audit ready and complete the pre-audit checklist;
- Provide advice and technical support to CO on audits;
- Contribute to the training in RO and COs as part of the training plan or requirement of pre-audit preparations or as otherwise determined by Operations Manager.
6. Contribute to knowledge sharing
- Ensure knowledge is shared and adequately applied between the Training Center and other Country Office/Regional Office in the region.
7. Provide technical backstopping to the Country Office in all functions of the Operations Unit.
Key Performance Indicators:
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness of the Regional Office Programme implementation and on the efficiency and effectiveness of the use of corporate resources, human, financial and material and the safety of staff and assets of UN Women. The key results also impact on the image of the organization and its ability to deliver on its mandate.
- All services are provided in compliance with UN Women rules, regulations and policies;
- Finances are properly identified and in a timely manner;
- Timely and accurate implementation of procurement contracts;
- Timely and accurate implementation of HR contracts;
- Audit process is efficient.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract and interpret data;
- Ability to manage business processes re-engineering, and implementation of new systems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Strong IT skills;
- Ability to priorities work and to multi-task;
- Ability to handle web-based management systems.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Secondary Education;
- University Degree in Business, Administration and Finance, would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, procurement, human resources or logistic support services at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another official UN language.