Surge Capacity – Technical Shelter Assistant, Construction Supervisor, (Nationals Only) - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
This advertisement is for the creation of surge capacity for NRC activities in Azraq camp. Candidates selected through this process will be added to a roster. An employment offer is contingent on needs and funding and is not guaranteed and start and end dates are needs based. Candidates included in the roster can only be offered positions of 6 months maximum. If the need for the position extends beyond 6 months the position will be re-advertised and candidates may re-apply.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
The Technical Shelter Assistant is responsible for the design, planning and construction tasks related to maintenance of camp infrastructure and general construction activities inside the camp.
- Monitor and report all project activities and challenges, and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
- Carry out data collection and Liaise with communities and community leaders and report all protection-related concerns
- Identify gaps, problems in the implementation area of own activities and Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality and the efficiency of the activities.
- Develops own weekly and daily activity planning and provide direction, assign tasks and give instructions to daily laborers and/or contractors and evaluates individual performance.
- Monitors the progress of activities of assigned daily laborers and or contractors and ensures they are implemented conform planning and quality standards.
- Adheres to NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Prepares and files accurate records of project activities and ensures all information is accurate and available in time.
- Determines engineering requirements by conducting inspections and analytical tests; analyzing and synthesizing data; maintaining control charts.
- Resolves engineering problems by collecting and analyzing information; researching, analyzing, adapting, and modifying engineering techniques; recommending solutions; preparing drawings, schematics, and diagrams; evaluating components, materials, and suppliers; resolving design integration issues; developing specifications and safety standards; performing installations.
- Maintains project team accomplishments by communicating essential information; coordinating actions; obtaining expert input; reviewing open issues and action items; contributing information to team meetings and reports; escalating project completion impediments.
- Maintains and improves quality results by completing quality assurance tests; following standards; studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Participating in project planning by calculating the required manpower, time, tools, materials, …. etc.
- Preparing daily, weekly, progress and final reports, and making sure that all the related files are well documented.
- Working on shelter construction and upgrade project, and following up with the laborers, suppliers, and other teams, and making sure that all laborers are doing the requested work based on the required specification and on time.
- Working on Shelter maintenance project with coordination with UNHCR, and reporting all maintained shelters on weekly and monthly basis.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a Bachelor degree in Engineering or equivalent with a minimum of one year previous experience working in managing site works and laborers, has a very good English Language level (Business English is a plus), has documented results related to the position’s responsibilities, has a good designing and planning skills.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication, organizational and planning skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels, and to be able to maintain smooth, clear and professional communication with the beneficiaries. Energetic and motivated individuals with a desire to work with Syrian refugees and ability to perform in a challenging environment.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Applications will be screened as received and position will close once suitable candidate(s) are identified.
Contract period: Maximum 6 months (Non-Renewable)
Salary/benefits: 842 JOD (subject to social security)
Duty station: Azraq Camp
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Azraq
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Education, Learning and Training
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Administrative support
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: