Project Specialist (SCM Performance Management)
New York City | Washington D.C
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Logistics Support Division (UN DFS-LSD) is responsible for implementing Supply Chain Management in support of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs). .
In 2015 the USG DFS signed off on a vision, strategy and implementation roadmap for Supply Chain Management (SCM) in field support. The Supply Chain Management Vision for DFS is to implement ‘a well-managed and agile supply chain to support UN Field Missions with effectiveness and efficiency’. Having started as one of the four pillars of the Global Field Support Strategy (GFSS), the SCM strategy will be rolled out to missions in the years ahead. SCM offers a proven approach for optimizing the chain of activities that bring goods and services from source to clients. The SCM strategy is expected to deliver improvements in efficiency, responsiveness, effectiveness and client satisfaction along the field support supply chain.
The planned end-state of supply chain management (SCM) for the Department of Field Support (DFS) is to evolve from the current state of supply chain process, where planning and management processes take place solely within functional areas and individual missions, to an integrated end-to-end process. A series of process maps have been developed of the future state of the DFS plan, source, deliver and return supply chain processes. These process maps are based on the Supply Chain Operations Reference (SCOR) model, which uses a simple, effective framework to assess and improve organizational supply chains based on core functional processes including plan, source, deliver, return and enable.1 These five process areas align closely with the three functional areas adopted in the SCM Vision & Strategy: planning, execution (source, deliver and return) and monitoring & control (enable).
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
This position is located in the Supply Chain Management Service within the Office of the Director of Logistics Support Division (LSD), Department of Field Support (DFS). Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager (SCM Performance Management), the Project Specialist (SCM Performance Management) will work with the Business Change Manager, and the SCM Program Manager. The Project Specialist (SCM Performance Management) will perform the following duties:
- Identify sources and ERP systems modules and other relevant IT systems to capture required data and develop report requirements in support of KPIs and metrics to enable Umoja BI Group to create the BI reports, and to integrate and automate data flow to the designed SCM dashboards.
- Conduct options analysis and recommend optimal solutions to address stakeholder information requirements
- Develop a system of SC performance attributes and performance KPIs and identify SCOR performance metrics to support SC process performance analysis and diagnostics at global, operational and tactical levels.
- Make business-related recommendations including viability of usage of existing IT systems and/or infrastructure and industry IT standards/solutions relevant to information requirements of the Supply Chain process owners
- Facilitate customer workshops/interviews to collect, analyse, validate and document business requirements, processes, business rules and workflows
- Plan and execute change management activities to ensure efficient transition into Operations and utilization of project deliverables by the business
- Work closely with cross-functional teams and technical staff to produce and manage documentation in support of supply chain management projects and service delivery;
- Compose complex technical documents including business cases, software and technical requirements, standard operating procedures, guidelines, process and project documentation, workflows, and special reports;
- Develop and produce reports and briefings including strategy papers and analytical reports.
- Applies knowledge of metrics from the Performance element of the SCOR model in order to define appropriate key performance indicators, which will be used to establish a baseline of current implementation status.
- Develop a performance management framework based on the Supply Chain Operations Reference (SCOR) model, as well as a baseline for the framework.
- Assist project manager(s) in project planning, update and risk related matters and serve as back-up as and when needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in information systems and/or information technology, supply chain management, business administration, public administration. logistics or related field is required. A first level university degree and two additional years of relevant experience maybe accepted in lieu of advanced degree.
PRINCE2 Practitioner certification is required and SCOR certification is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in project management, Supply chain management, and/or business process analysis and engineering is required.
- Operational experience in managing large scale projects in multi-party setting is required.
- Proven experience in managing teams is desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office is required.
- Diverse knowledge of technologies and methodologies, such as industry standard business analysis tools and enterprise resource planning systems, as well as a strong understanding of supply chain management and related approaches, is highly desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Fluency in one or more official UN languages is desirable.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- A TA is a staff appointment governed by the UN Staff Regulations and Staff Rules for activities expected to be of a finite and short duration not exceeding 364 calendar days
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Contract level: P3 (ICS-10)
Contract duration: 9 months
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: New York City | Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Human Resources
- Human Resources
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-09-01