Education Assistant (National Position), Anbar - Iraq
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al-Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the Education Assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the Education project.
The Education Assistant will report to Education Officer.
The position will be based in Anbar with some visits to NRC needed areas.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A Bachelors or equivalent university education.The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English language.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- To assist in the implementation of education activities under direction of the Education Officer
- Supervise education incentive teams (volunteers and activity leaders) and provide support to them in line with program objectives
- Provide support to formal schools and volunteers in line with NRC quality standards
- Ensure direct communication and feedback with beneficiaries and relevant host communities
- Ensure ongoing monitoring and reporting of projects at field level
- Organize, support and participate in Mother’s Group, PTA, camp and community-level meetings
- Regularly travel to the field to support education and PSS activities
- Any other task relevant to the position as requested by line manager
- Bachelors or equivalent university education .
- Experience in working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts; ability to remain calm and professional in tense situations
- Flexible and creative
The post will be for four (4) months contract duration with possible extension - subject to funds.
Salary :4/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary scale.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Anbar with frequent visits to NRC field operations.
Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
For more information, please find attached the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Anbar
- Grade: Services and Support
- Education and Training
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-09-03