Bamako | Male
Background Information - Job-specific
There is a problem of weapons and explosive contamination in Mali, following historical and recent conflict. There is clear evidence of the presence of landmines, unexploded ordnance (UXO), improvised explosive devices (IED) and insecure stockpiles of weapons and ammunition (abandoned or neglected). There were more than 130 recorded victims of UXO since 2012.
The United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) was established in 2013 under Security Council Resolution 2100, and the mandate further developed under resolutions 2164, 2227, and 2295. In accordance with these mandates, the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) has engaged UNOPS to implement a mine action programme in Mali.
The UNMAS mine action programme is seeking to:
- · Reduce the explosive threat to AFISMA/MINUSMA and United Nations personnel;
- · Enhance national capacity to mitigate explosive threats;
- · Improve the protection of civilians.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Support Service the Procurement Officer will be responsible for effective and efficient management of procurement of services, goods and works in full compliance with the UNOPS financial rules and regulations and donor requirements. They analyze and interpret the financial and procurement rules and regulations and provide solutions to a wide spectrum of complex issues related to procurement while seeking to obtain the best value for money for the organisation. The Procurement Officer promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Unit.
Functional responsibilities include:
- Ensures full compliance of all procurement activities with UNOPS Organization Directives, Administrative Instructions, Procurement Manual and internal standard operating procedures; regularly reviews internal standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations and relevance for the Programme.
- Leads in the development of the Programme procurement plan in coordination with all internal stakeholders with particular focus on the needs of the project managers and the adherence to the approved budgets.
- Formulates strategies and designs innovative solutions to resolve issues/conflicts for complex procurement projects.
- Maintains constant liaison with contractors and suppliers until safe and timely delivery of goods/services. Ensure Logistics is informed of incoming goods and assist in ensuring Receipt Inspection Reports (RIR) are completed and Invoices paid. Liaise with UNOPS HQ on the settlement of insurance claims when required.
- Ensures Invoices are matched to procurement processes, timely receipting and request for payment are made after arrival of goods/service and review of procurement related financial documents required to process payments.
- Management of UNOPS e-sourcing module and provision of training for procurement personnel, reviewers and suppliers on e-sourcing.
- Ensure accurate and comprehensive procurement files are maintained for all procurement cases.
- Ensure all procurement related reports are completed accurately and within the specified timeframes.
- Provide procurement advice, support and training for everyone involved in procurement processes to for efficient delivery of services to the clients, while mainlining high level of compliance with the UNOPS procedures.
- Maintain a register of procurement lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement. Analyze all procurement cases and develop a training plan to rectify any procedural deficiencies.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of effective internal controls for ensuring efficient and effective client-oriented procurement management system. This includes regular reporting of key performance indicators, analysis of performance and reviews of client satisfaction.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Manages the procurement plan to ensure efficient resource allocation and adherence to timings to ensure procurement is completed in accordance with Programme priorities and required timings.
- Provides advice to the Programme in all aspects of the procurement cycle and leads in ensuring Project Managers are advised of the required deadlines for their submission of requisitions and Technical Specifications/Statement of Works (SOW)/Term of Reference (TOR) in order for their procurement to be completed on time.
- Ensures accurate advice is provided to the requesters on the development of Technical Specifications/SOW/TOR ensuring sufficient level of detail is provided to allow for clear understanding of requirements and to enable objective and measurable evaluations resulting in clear and adequately defined Purchase Orders or performance based contracts with clearly defined requirements and responsibilities.
- Coordinates the compilation, and leads in the review of, all procurement solicitation documents to ensure the requester needs are accurately reflected in the solicitation, solicitation is in line with UNOPS Procurement Manual and that appropriate authorizations are obtained with minimal revisions prior to posting.
- Ensures the timely and comprehensive evaluation of procurement processes ensuring panel members are aware of their responsibilities and sufficiently trained to complete objective and measurable evaluations in accordance with the UNOPS Procurement Manual. Coordinate clarifications and negotiations where required and ensure evaluation documents are completed to a high standard in a timely manner.
- Ensures submissions for awards are reviewed ensuring quality of submissions and that appropriate documents and information are included prior to submission to appropriate review and authorization bodies. Ensure cases are professionally presented and questions answered to review and approval bodies.
- Ensures contracts (including Purchase Orders) are reviewed ensuring correct approval of awards, contract quality to ensure accurate and measurable requirements, responsibilities and reporting requirements are specified. Ensure contracts are signed by the appropriate parties and all relevant stakeholders are aware of the content of the contracts.
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
5. Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Ensure all procurement is in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Manual, UNOPS Administration Instructions and Operational Directives.
- Ensure the Procurement plan is updated and procurement activities initiated within 1 week of scheduled start.
- All procurement reports completed 1 week prior to deadline for submission.
- Advanced University (Master Degree or equivalent) in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration or other related subject with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or
- First level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Business Administration or other related subject with 7 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience with procurement management is required
- At least 5 years of experience supervising teams of five people or more
- 2 years of experience in procurement planning is required
- 2 years of experience in evaluation of tenders required
- Experience in UNOPS Procurement is highly desired
- Experience in procurement of infrastructure works is highly desired
- Experience of procurement management in hardship locations in conflict and/or post conflict situations is desired.
- Fluency in spoken and written French and English required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: P3
Contract duration:12 Months, renewable upon satisfactory performance and availability of funds
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Within these three core areas of expertise, UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian and peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bamako | Male
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-09-04