SVN 2017/156 (P) - Information Management Officer (P2) - Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Position Title Information Management Officer
Duty Station :Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh Classification Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 06 September 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles,
Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Following escalation of violence in Myanmar Rakhine State area bordering Bangladesh on the 9th of October 2016, thousands of UMNs have fled across the border into Bangladesh territory. As of 5th February 2017, it is estimated that approximately 69,000 Undocumented Myanmar Nationals (UMNs) from Rakhine State have crossed the border into Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Recently arrived UMNs are moving from host villages to makeshift settlements due to the provision of services in these settlements, but an increasing number of UMNS have been observed in other areas. IOM, is working closely with the Government of Bangladesh (GoB), and is has been mandated to coordinate the humanitarian activities in response to the emergency operation in out of Cox’s Bazar.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, IOM Bangladesh and the direct supervision of the Inter-Sector Coordinator Officer and working closely with the relevant units, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining specific information management systems in response to the emergency operation in Cox’s Bazar.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Working with higher-level specialists, plan, design, implement and maintain an Who does Page 1 / 4What and Where information management mechanism for the inter sector coordination group to ensure effective and efficient processes and data flows that deliver timely, accurate and reliable information for coordination, operational planning and gap analysis.
2. Supervise the development of Information management (IM) tools and templates, and maintain systems and procedures for the information management unit (Geographic Information System (GIS) and database) for data collection, processing, analysis and storage. 3. Supervise the 4Ws (Who, What, Where, When) data collection processes and the overall data management activities including encoding, storing, and support to the analysis of the collected data and information locally.
4. Provide information and guidance for conventional and geographic data preparedness, consistency, quality assurance and confidentiality, adopted by the Mission and humanitarian clusters/sectors to protect sensitive data.
5. Contribute to the design and development of the standard inter sector coordination information products (including but not limited to Monthly Sitreps, response plans and response monitoring dashboards, 4Ws analytical products), GIS analysis and other products/report as per inter sector coordinator request and approval (including PPT presentations, infographics, maps). Ensure the timely and regular provision of information through weekly, monthly reports/information products to partners and stakeholders.
6. Ensure the effective use of the designated information system and dissemination channels, including the Inter sector Coordination portal, website, contact lists, and other databases to manage the implementation of information management mechanism for inter sector Coordination purposes.
7. Identify gaps on data and information relevant to the Inter agency coordination response and recommend solutions in coordination with the Need and Population Monitoring (NPM) Coordinator and the humanitarian agency partners.
8. Act as focal point for Division and District level Inter sector Information Management Working Group and participate in other relevant working groups and support in liaising with external partners locally in relation to information management needs, assessments, and coordination. 9. Liaise with key IM stakeholders, including humanitarian partners, UN Resident Coordinators Office Joint Needs Assessment (JNA) Group, Needs Assessment Working Group (NAWG) of the Cluster Coordinators Group in Dhaka, GoB etc. on maintaining common operational datasets, developing integrated information system and other data management tools. 10. Contribute to capacity building/training counterparts according to need on use of information management tools and platforms.
11. Participate in the revision of the tools/methodologies and training of the team leaders and enumerators.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Information Management, Computer Science, Media or Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Page 2 / 4Experience
• Experience in information management, preferably in complex crisis situations; • Experience in managing teams in the field;
• Experience with International Organizations, INGO;
• Experience in emergency and recovery humanitarian operations; and familiarity with the humanitarian cluster systems;
• Experience with handling confidential data;
• Experience in advanced data visualization and information design skills; • Working experience within the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Bangla is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 06 September 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Page 3 / 4For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 24.08.2017 to 06.09.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/156 (P) - Information Management Officer (P2) - Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh (55156373) Released
Posting: Posting NC55156374 (55156374) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Mazār-e Sharīf
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Junior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-06