Director, Human Resources
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) envisions a more equitable world where forestry and landscapes enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR is a non-profit, scientific institution that conducts research on the most pressing challenges of forest and landscape management around the world. Using a global, multidisciplinary approach, we aim to improve human well-being, protect the environment, and increase equity. To do so, we conduct innovative research, develop partners’ capacity, and actively engage in dialogue with all stakeholders to inform policies and practices that affect forests and people. CIFOR is a CGIAR Research Center, and leads the CGIAR Research Program on Forests, Trees and Agroforestry (FTA). Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Nairobi, Kenya, Yaoundé, Cameroon, and Lima, Peru.
Director, Human Resources (re-post)
The Director will provide the organization with overall strategic human resources leadership and will contribute to CIFOR’s initiatives. The Director will ensure the development and implementation of global best practices in human resources management and will foster a workplace environment consistent with the organization’s values and mission. The Director will lead the Human Resources (HR) team in the provision of proactive and results-oriented services.
The Director reports to the Director General and is a member of the CIFOR Executive Management Committee.
Duties and responsibilities
- Participate in the overall management of the organization
- Prepare and lead HR discussions at monthly EMC meetings
- Contribute to the development of the Center's plans and initiatives, providing advice from the perspective of the impact on staff.
- Fully support the implementation of CIFOR's strategy
- Reflect global best practices in human resources management, including best practices in gender and diversity
- Meet ethical standards and legal requirements, especially in compliance with regulations at the national level that affect our offices around the world.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of programs, initiatives and strategies that affect the attraction, motivation, development and retention of staff.
- Oversee staffing strategies and implementation plans and programs to identify talent within and outside the organization.
- Identify appropriate and effective external sources for candidates, including manage partnerships with relevant organizations to ensure the appropriate implementation of secondments and employment relationships.
- Oversee the contract management of all staff, secondees, partners and consultants, and ensure compliance with the organization's policies and procedures and the laws/regulations applicable to all CIFOR offices.
- Manage an effective orientation program to welcome and integrate new employees into the organization’s culture; and
- Manage all staff movements: promotion, transfer and departure of staff including implement an exit interview program to obtain inputs/feedback concerning the organization's operations, management and programs.
- Develop and review the organizational design–the organization’s structure, design and classification of positions, and human resources planning.
- Develop parameters for and oversee an equitable compensation and benefits structure, including salary packages and benefits pertaining to health care, retirement, insurance, leave and expatriation (e.g. housing, education assistance, relocation and repatriation, and other relevant benefits); and
- Continually assess the internal equity and also the competitiveness of the compensation programs against the relevant comparable organizations and markets.
- Oversee the performance management process, and assist the management in the analysis of both individual and team performances.
- Lead needs assessment to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps, and develop professional development plans, learning and training programs based on organizational and individual needs.
- Manage the upward feedback program for the senior management team; and
- Encourage knowledge sharing throughout the organization.
- Enhance and/or develop and implement the HR Information Systems (HRIS) to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization. In particular, ensure the HRIS database provides timely and accurate information.
- As a senior internal consultant and facilitator assist managers and employees in resolving employment and/or performance issues; and
- Provide managers with coaching and technical advice in people management.
- Ensure that all personnel transactions follow the appropriate procedures and that all requirements are met prior to the approval of a transaction.
Education, knowledge and experience
• Advanced degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration or related studies and progressive experience in International HR management preferably in an international organization;
• Extensive human resources knowledge, with experience in change management and organizational development;
• Have sound judgment, demonstrate exceptional facilitating skills, and have proven diplomatic and influencing skills;
• Value the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning, and committed to staff development;
• Outstanding written and spoken English is required, while proficiency in other international languages is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
• This is an internationally recruited staff (IRS) position;
• Competitive remuneration in US Dollars commensurate with skills and experience;
• The appointment will be for a period of two years, inclusive of a nine-month probationary period with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources;
• The duty station will be in Jakarta/Bogor, Indonesia.
• The vacancy is open until filled;
To apply, please visit our careers site at http://www.cifor.org/careers
To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at http://www.cifor.org
No Application deadline. Please submit your application as soon as possible.
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
- Organization: CIFOR - Center for International Forestry Research
- Location: Bogor
- Grade: S - Senior Executive - Senior Executive level
- Human Resources
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-24