Project Outreach Coordinator
Strengthening access to justice, rule of law and promoting human rights are cornerstones of UNDP’s work to achieve sustainable human development. The UNDP Pacific Office in Fiji is implementing projects as part of an overall programme in these areas including the Fiji Access to Justice Project and the Rights, Empowerment and Cohesion for rural and urban Fijians Project. The Fiji Access to Justice Project supports access to justice for impoverished and vulnerable groups through empowering people to access legal rights and services through the relevant key justice institutions, in conjunction with strengthening those key justice institutions to undertake improved service delivery. The Rights, Empowerment and Cohesion for rural and urban Fijians Project promotes peace building, social cohesion and inclusiveness through awareness of rights, access to services and institutional capacity building in Fiji.
The position of Senior Community Outreach Coordinator, Access to Justice, Rule of Law and Human Rights, will work within the Access to Justice, Rule of Law and Human Rights programme and will be based in the UNDP Pacific Office in Suva, Fiji. The incumbent will be required to travel throughout all of Fiji on a regular basis as part of the outreach (awareness raising and service delivery) activities.
As part of the Effective Governance Team; and under the overall guidance of the Programme Manager, Access to Justice, Rule of Law and Human Rights; the Project Officer is responsible for coordination and conduct of all outreach (awareness raising and service delivery) activities. In leading on all programme outreach activities there will be a need for close coordination with all key stakeholders throughout Fiji.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective management of all training for stakeholders involved in outreach activities, including ensuring gender mainstreaming:
- Develop training needs analysis for the different stakeholder groups involved in the outreach activities;
- Develop required training strategy and materials;
- Ongoing implementation of the training strategy through the conduct of trainings and as well through the coordination of relevant expert trainers to undertake some components;
- Ongoing refinement training strategy and training materials;
- Maintain a final training package to enable a sustainable utilization and application by the stakeholders in the future.
Ensures effective management of knowledge and advocacy products to be utilized in outreach activities, including ensuring gender mainstreaming:
- Review existing knowledge and advocacy products developed for outreach activities;
- Based on the review oversee the improvement to and development of new knowledge and advocacy products for outreach activities;
- Oversee the ongoing application of knowledge and advocacy products during outreach activities;
- Ongoing improvement to knowledge and advocacy products;
- Maintain a final portfolio of knowledge and advocacy products to enable a sustainable utilization and application by stakeholders in the future.
Ensures effective and efficient coordination and planning of outreach activities, including ensuring gender mainstreaming:
- In consultation with all stakeholders, including senior government representatives, develop schedule for outreach activities;
- Oversee the logistical coordination, planning and procurement for outreach activities;
- Manage and as necessary conduct advance missions for outreach activities;
- Engage with a broad range of stakeholders to develop partnerships and expand the scope of awareness raising and service delivery being undertaken during outreach activities.
Ensures effective and efficient conduct and monitoring of outreach activities, including ensuring gender mainstreaming:
- Oversee the conduct of outreach activities;
- Manage and respond to a range of contingencies that may arise during outreach activities;
- Ensure all stakeholders, including senior government representatives, are aware of the conduct of outreach activities;
- Oversee the communications and visibility aspects of outreach activities;
- Ensure appropriate results based monitoring of outreach activities.
Ensures effective reporting of outreach activities, including ensuring gender mainstreaming.:
- Manage the production of high quality reports of all outreach activities (by each mission, by month and by each quarter);
- Oversee the compilation and analysis of data arising from outreach activities;
- Oversee the production of reports and knowledge products on outreach activities to be utilized for advocacy purposes;
- Provide recommendations for ongoing improvement to delivery of outreach activities to develop a sustainable model for application by stakeholders in the future;
- Develop synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in outreach activities;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate;
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management;
- Building Strategic Partnerships;
- Innovation and New Approaches;
- Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise;
- Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals;
- Client Orientation;
- Knowledge Management and Learning.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Development Studies, Law, Governance, Political Science, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the planning, coordination and conduct of development related activities;
- Experience in capacity development and training activities, and development of associated training materials;
- Demonstrated ability of the application excellent interpersonal and communication skills applied at both the community levels and at the senior levels in government and non-government organisations;
- Cultural and gender sensitivity and ability to actively promote gender equality in all aspects of professional work;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Knowledge of and experience with UN / UNDP results based management policies and procedures desirable.
- Fluency in English, with fluency in iTaukei and / or local Hindi being an asset.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Suva
- Grade: SC-9/SB-4, Local Service Contract - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-09-01