National Consultant for improvement of mechanisms/infrastructure for providing support to investors (North-West cluster)
The purpose of this consultancy is to strengthen partner local government’s (LGs) economic governance capacities, with focus on services to existing and potential investors. In this regard, a National Consultant for improvement of mechanisms/infrastructure for providing support to investors will be engaged (hereinafter – the Consultant). The focus of the service will be on partner localities in the North-West cluster.
The main objective of this consultancy is to provide tailored technical assistance (TA) to strengthen LGs’ capacities to:
- respond to investor's queries and requests timely, with high-quality services;
- provide investor aftercare;
- attract new domestic and foreign investments;
- improve overall business environment on local level.
Financed by the Government of Switzerland, and implemented by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Municipal Environmental and Economic Governance (MEG) Project is a newly-launched 12-year intervention in the domain of local governance in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Project’s overall goal is defined as follows: Local governments, assigned with appropriate competences and finances, have improved their democratic governance, apply sound public policy and performance management systems, and provide public services in an inclusive, effective and efficient manner, particularly those related to economic and environmental sectors.The expected concrete improvements the Project will contribute to are clustered in three outcomes, as follows:
- Outcome 1: Supported local governments apply effective development management systems characterised by stronger oversight of the legislative and greater accountability towards the citizens;
- Outcome 2: Citizens and businesses in target localities benefit from good quality services provided by LGs in the economic and environmental sectors;
- Outcome 3: Improved regulatory framework at higher and local government levels and pro-active.
The Project’s territorial focus is on the North-West part of the country (including Una-Sana Canton and Prijedor region) and the North-East region (the wider Doboj-Tuzla area), covering 18 partner local governments: Bihac, Bosanska Krupa, Cazin, Doboj, Gracanica, Gradacac, Gradiška, Kalesija, Kostajnica, Kozarska Dubica, Prijedor, Prnjavor, Sanski Most, Tešanj, Teslic, Tuzla, Velika Kladuša and Žepce.The Project is implemented in partnership with the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Ministry of Development, Entrepreneurship and Crafts of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH), the FBiH Ministry of Agriculture, Water Management and Forestry, the Ministry for Administration and Local Self-Government of Republika Srpska (RS), the RS Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Water Management and both entity Associations of Municipalities and Cities (AMCs).This activity will take place within the economic development component, with the aim to strengthen local business environment and enable new investments in partner localities.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant is expected to provide technical assistance (TA) to the MEG partner LGs from North – West Cluster on the improvement of the mechanisms/infrastructure meant to support investors.The entire service will be delivered in the languages of BiH peoples. The expected timeframe for delivery of the service is expected to begin in September 2017 and be completed by the end of November 2017.
More concretely, the Consultant will be expected to perform the following tasks:
Task 1 – Review of the existing mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors and development of the program of technical assistance (TA)
The consultant is expected to:
- conduct a review of the existing mechanisms /infrastructure for support of investors, available case studies and good practices (local and regional);
- meet with representatives of business sector (existing or potential investors) to discuss their experiences and needs related to infrastructure for support of investors.
Based on the collected inputs and findings of the review and specific needs and potentials of the target LGs, the Consultant will develop a tailor-made program of technical assistance (TA). Specifically, the potential topics of the TA should contain, but not be limited to:
- The role and purpose of the mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors(main tasks);
- The mechanisms/infrastructure for supporting investors – types and tools (e.g. Office for investors);
- How to setup the Office for investors and make it productive and efficient (e.g. rule book, relations with other departments, type of organization...);
- How to use existing resources to support investors (Office for diaspora, local development agency, MSME agency,etc);
- How to attract new investors - active approaches and ideas;
- Outreach and communication (impact based planning and impact assessment);
- All other issues relevant to investment support infrastructure.
It is important to note that not all MEG partner LGs require the same level of effort and assistance in this field.It is envisaged that this task will be delivered by the end of September 2017 and the level of effort will not exceed 5 expert days.
Task 2 – Delivery of tailor-made TA on development/improvement of the mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors
After conducting review and submission and approval of the program for tailored technical assistance (TA), the Consultant will provide assistance on the improvement/establishment of the mechanisms/infrastructure meant to support investors.TA will be provided through individual coaching sessions (on site or electronic communication) in the form of :
- guidelines for development of the mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors
- templates for necessary documents (rulebooks, job descriptions, type of organization...), and
- comments, and all other forms that will result in outputs necessary for efficient and successful functioning of mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors.
It is envisaged that this task will be delivered by the mid December 2017 and the level of effort will not exceed 20 expert days.
Deliverables and timelines
The consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
Task 1 – Review of the existing mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors and development of TA program
- The tailor-made program of technical assistance (TA), including detail description of TA topics and implementation timelines per each LG prepared and endorsed by the MEG team. End of September, 2017; (5 days);
Task 2 – Delivery of tailored TA on development/improvement of the mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors
- The tailored TA on development/improvement of mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors delivered to nine (9) LGs from NW cluster, as per the details provided under Task 2. The final report on the assignment submitted and approved by MEG team. The report includes brief reports on TA provided to each LG (e.g. description of intervention, used resources, proposed vs. accepted recommendations with written justification, recommendations for future improvements, provided templates of documents such as job description, etc) but also recommendations for the improvement of the mechanisms/infrastructure for support of investors in BH (including all levels) based on experiences of the MEG partner LGs. Mid December, 2017; (20 days);
Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Participates effectively in a team-based, information-sharing environment, collaborating and cooperating with others;
- Generates ideas and seizes opportunities to support corporate strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Builds trust and engenders morale by displaying open, transparent and credible behavior;
- Respects individual/cultural differences; utilizes diversity to foster teamwork;
- Ensures others’ understanding of, involvement in, and adaptation to a change process.
Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as work autonomously.
- Plans and ensures quality results to meet established goals.
- Formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Shares information openly with co-workers and partners while using discretion to protect confidences;
- Presents information in a clear and articulate manner.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Progressive knowledge of LED and investing support mechanisms;
- Knowledge on issues and challenges related to the business enabling environment (focus on the investment challanges);
- Strong analytical skills;
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently;
- Initiative and sound judgment.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics, development studies or other related field.
- At least 5 years of extensive experience in economic development, local development, business development, capacity development or delivery of technical assistance to public and/or private sector;
- Practical experience in work with LGs on development investment support infrastructure is considered a distinct asset;
- Fluency in the official languages in BiH and in English.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
Cumulative analysisWhen using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs..
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points for technical criteria assessment would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
- At least 5 years of extensive experience in economic development, local development, business development; Weight:30%, Maximum points: 25;
- Practical experience in capacity development or delivery of technical assistance to public and/or private sector; Weight: 20%, Maximum points: 20;
- Practical experience in work with LGs on development investment support infrastructure is considered a distinct asset; Weight: 20%, Maximum points:15;
Financial criteria: Weight: 30%, Maximum points: 30;
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Anderson
- Grade: National Consultant - Consultancy
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2017-09-11