International Junior Consultant – Quality Assurance Expert for Development of Human Development Benefits and Gender Mainstreaming through Energy Efficiency Effects
Anderson (United States of America)
The UNDP requires professional expertise for Quality Assurance for Development of Study on Human Development Benefits and Gender Mainstreaming through Energy Efficiency Effects. A consultancy is required to provide strategic advice and additional input regarding Human Development and impact on poverty reduction through the effects of energy efficiency introduction into public buildings.
The objective of this assignment is to provide expertise of a Quality Assurance for Development of Study on Human Development Benefits and Gender Mainstreaming through Energy Efficiency Effects. Study will be developed by independent company/organization and their team of experts on a basis of more than 80 buildings on which infrastructure measures were conducted within the Green Economic Development (GED) Project. Infrastructure measures imply improving the energy efficiency of buildings, which improved comfort for the users in a first place, but also enabled institutions to generate financial savings which further lead towards new activities and invests. Also, not only financial savings are the ones triggering changes, but the change of attitude and patterns of behaviour regarding energy use, as well as buildings usage.Expertise is required to provide assistance to UNDP team for Development of Study development process, to provide Quality Assurance of all developing phases, to give additional input regarding human development and impact on poverty reduction through the effects of energy efficiency introduction into public buildings.
During the past three years UNDP has made a significant improvement in promotion of Energy Efficiency through the Green Economic Development (GED) Programme. The primarily goal of GED project is to contribute to the creation of a favorable environment for investing in EE measures in BiH.The focus was the introduction of energy efficiency in the public sector across Bosnia and Herzegovina by implementation of energy efficiency infrastructure projects on more than 80 public buildings. Energy efficiency measures contribute to reduce energy costs, energy consumption, CO2 emission, fulfillment of EU accession and other multilateral obligations (UNFCCC), and job generation.However, beside those well-known positive effects, energy efficiency actions have also an impact on human development and gender mainstreaming which is, in BiH, still not known. Therefore, it is suggested, and would contribute to widen the understanding of GED project impact, to analyze and assess the empirical human development effects which emerged in the healthcare, education, safety and security, transparency and gender areas (and others) as a result of the implementation of energy efficiency measures in mentioned public sector buildings in BiH. UNDP will develop the Study on Human Development and Gender Mainstreaming through energy efficiency effects. This would additionally contribute that non-energy efficiency civil society organizations would advocate and mainstream energy efficiency measures in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Duties and Responsibilities
International Consultant - Quality Assurance Expert will provide professional expertise for UNDP during the process of developing the Study on Human Development and Gender Mainstreaming. All activities would be carried in collaboration with the UNDP Country Office (CO) in BiH.
More specifically, the international consultant will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Conduct consultation meetings with UNDP regarding study development and give additional input regarding human development and project impact on poverty reduction through the effects of energy efficiency introduction into public buildings;
- Review proposed methodology and approach submitted by the selected company for the development of the Study;
- Review collected real data on all buildings, and give suggestions;
- Might include several field visits to insure crosscheck of the collected data;
- Review of final study and prepared analysis of abovementioned data;
- Provide consolidated Report and continuous response to deliverables status to UNDP contact person.
Estimated number of consultancy days: up to fifty (50).
Deliverables and timelines
The consultant is responsible for the following deliverables:
- Delivery of the methodology and work plan - 10 days after contract signature;
- Delivery of a Review/report on proposed methodology by the selected company for the development of the Study and approach - one month upon contract signature;
- Delivery of a Review/report of collected data - three months upon contract signature;
- Delivery of Final Report, that includes review on a final Study and prepared analysis - six months upon contract signature;
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Demonstrates professional competence and its conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Results-Orientation: Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals, generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Quality of Work: Consistently ensures timeliness and quality of work;
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- Client orientation: Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholder. Ability to identify beneficiaries’ needs, and to match them with appropriate solutions;
- Teamwork: Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team, both as a team member and as a team leader, to build trust, and to manage in a deliberate, transparent and predictable way;
- Building trust: Deals openly, honestly and transparently with issues, resources and people.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Economics (social development/development would be considered as an asset);
- 8 years of professional experience out of which 5 in development and social studies with focus on human development, poverty reduction and gender mainstreaming;
- Strong background in and working experience in the field of human development and poverty working experience with international organizations;
- Experience in work within development projects;
- Experience in monitoring of project implementation.
- Excellent knowledge of English language;
- Knowledge of local language would be an asset.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology:
Cumulative analysisWhen using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- * Technical Criteria weight-70%
- * Financial Criteria weight- 30%
Applicants are required to submit an application including:
- Completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (downloadable from http://www.ba.undp.org/content/bosnia_and_herzegovina/en/home/operations/jobs.html);
- Financial proposal which will separately specify professional fee, indicating number of anticipated working days, travel costs (air-ticket or use of private vehicle), living allowance, and all other applicable costs.
- Proposal: Explaining why they are the most suitable for the work; Provide a brief methodology on how they will approach and conduct the work;
Please scan all above mentioned documents and upload as one attachment only online through this website.
- For an assignment requiring travel, consultants of 62 years or more require full medical examination and statement of fitness to work to engage in the consultancy.
- Due to large number of potential applicants, only competitively selected candidates will be contacted for remaining steps of the service procurement process.
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points for technical criteria assessment would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
- Master’s degree in Economics (social development/development would be considered as an asset) - Weight: 10%, Maximum points:10;
- 8 years of professional experience out of which 5 in development and social studies with focus on human development, poverty reduction and gender mainstreaming; Strong background in and working experience in the field of human development and poverty working experience with international organizations; Experience in work within development projects; Experience in monitoring of project implementation - Weight: 40%, Maximum points: 40;
- Methodology - Weight: 20%, Maximum points: 20;
Financial criteria: Weight: 30%, Maximum points:30;