Regional Policy & Planning Off
UNDP Afghanistan Mission Statement:
UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is committed to augmenting the capacity of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan’s (GIROA) to administer rule of law and improve security for all Afghan citizens. As the lead rule of law institution in the country, improving the ability of the Ministry of Interior Affairs (MOIA) to fulfill its mandate remains critical to the overall stability of Afghanistan and its people. As the UN’s primary development agency, and a longstanding development partner to GIROA’s rule of law and security sector, UNDP Afghanistan plays a leading role in facilitating reform and development of MOIA. The MOIA & Police Development (MPD) project, principle objectives are to (1) improve MOIA’s ability to lead and manage reform, (2) ensure efficiency improvements in key police service functions and (3) improve public confidence in the police force through accountability and democratic policing standards and approaches. These objectives are programmed under two components of the MPD project, Institutional Development and Police Professionalization.
The MPD project utilizes global expertise from within the UN system, private sector firms as well as newly established South-South Cooperation Frameworks in order to deliver highly contextual and relevant advisory support. It works through three principle programming streams – legal/policy, institutional and individual capacity – in order to foster systemic and lasting change. The project also works in close collaboration with strategic partners, including the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and German Police Project Team (GPPT), in order to deliver upon these common objectives.
Organizational Context of the Post
To enhance the MOIA staff capacity at the sub national level the MPD project is expanding its support to the provincial and district level in order to support MoIA to roll out its critical functions across Afghanistan. The focus of the MPD/ID component is to support rolling out all the core functions such as Strategic Planning, Programme budgeting, Monitoring and Evaluation functions, as well as to support awareness and implementation of Human Resources, personnel and other MOIA Policies at the sub national level. The overall aim of this is to transfer knowledge and technical skills to the MOIA personnel at the sub national level which will enhance their capacity and will result in the implementation of the MOIA strategic plan and MOIA 10 years’ vision.
The Regional Policy & Planning Officer will be based in Jalalabad and Kandahar, respectively, and will be co-located with and work collaboratively with the MPD Regional Co-ordinators. This position and its technical duties will be performed under the supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor of the ID component; with overall responsibility to the Project Manager to ensure effective co-ordination of project efforts within the above regions. The position will be responsible for ensuring a) transferring technical skills and assisting MOIA staff to ensure core activities of the MPD project Annual Work Plan are implemented in a timely and effective manner at the sub national level; b) Build and maintain effective working relationships with MOIA and international partners; and c) provide technical and administrative support to the MPD/ID team members and consultants at the regional level.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strengthen MOIA’s planning, monitoring and policy implementation functions at the sub-national level:
- Establish effective and trusting working relationships with key MOIA personnel at the zonal and provincial levels that are responsible for planning, monitoring and policy implementation of key MOIA corporate processes including, budgeting, strategic planning, M&E, etc.
- Provide technical assistance to zonal and provincial officials in reviewing, revising and strengthening the MOIA strategic plan, ensuring sub-national perspectives are adequately represented;
- Ensure MOIA/ANP stakeholders are aware of and oriented on the content of key MOIA strategic plans, frameworks and documents through regular trainings, workshops, briefing notes and other knowledge transfer approaches;
- Provide technical support to improve the capacity for programme budgeting in the departments under the Deputy Minister for Policy and Strategy and Deputy Minister Support at the sub-national level in line with MOF and MOIA guidelines;
- Provide regular trainings and on-the-job support for provincial departments in budget planning and budget formulation processes;
- Facilitate implementation of MOIA - M&E framework and SoP at the subnational level including the identification of M&E focal points;
- Contribute to the policy implementation and awareness efforts of the ID component as well as MOIA at the provincial level including identifying and implementing targeted trainings for MOIA staff; and
- Conduct surveys, workshops, seminars in the region to collect inputs or feedback for policy formulation activities in center.
Facilitate implementation of the MPD Project Outputs at the Zonal and Provincial Levels
- Coordinate and liaise with MPD staff at the central level to ensure work plan activities are delivered, are on track and results are regularly reported on and monitored;
- Develop concept notes, proposals and other programmatic documents to facilitate implementation of key activities at the sub national level;
- Draft situational and thematic reports on key issues, new development and emerging issues/opportunities to inform project implementation and stakeholder engagement strategies;
- Ensure project stakeholders in the zonal and provincial level are regularly updated on MPD project plans and activities; and
- Prepare reports and minutes from meetings/consultations and ensure dissemination.
Build effective partnerships and networks with key stakeholders
- Serve as a focal person to liaise with Zonal Commanders, Deputy Commanders, Provincial Police Chiefs, and Deputy Provincial Police Chiefs in order to ensure continuous support throughout AWP implementation;
- Establish, build and maintain effective working relationships with MoIA officials, international partners and other UNDP project members linked with the work area at the sub national level;
- Support in providing technical and secretariat support in the work of Coordination Forums and other Working Groups in support work plan priorities; and
- Contribute in inter-agency forums and working groups related to rule of law, development, accountability, anti-corruption and other related subjects.
Technical and Administrative Support
- Working collaboratively with Project Regional Co-ordinators and providing regional project representation and cross project support as required;
- Provide support to all missions to the respective regions on their day-today work technically and administratively;
- Provide administrative support, including but not limited to filing, translation, document preparation and other UNDP administrative procedures;
- Support and accompany International Consultant/MPD staff on provincial missions and facilitate required arrangement for missions; and
- Any other tasks as may be required in support of project goals and objectives.
- Commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Shares knowledge and experience on gender among UNDP Practice Areas;
- Fully proficient computer skills and use of relevant software and other applications, for example, word processing, spreadsheets, internet, PowerPoint and database packages,
- A team player and self-starter able to inspire and influence action;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, resourceful and energetic approach to problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; and strong organizational and time management skills;
- Capacity to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines;
- Demonstrated behavior of professional and personal ethics, transparency and openness;
- Willingness to work in the field and interact with different stakeholders, especially with primary stakeholders.
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities related to contracting and performance evaluation of projects, monitoring of transactions, reporting;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems within BIU and in coordination with Implementation Teams
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree or Bachelor degree in business administration, strategic management, public administration, finance and budgeting or any other related fields.
- With Master’s degree 3 years and with Bachelor’s degree 5 years of relevant work experience in business administration, strategic management, public administration, finance and budgeting or any other related fields.
- Prior experience in public financial management is required.
- At least two years of experience in advisory and/or capacity building projects.
- Experience in public institutions, particularly in the security or rule of law sector, is preferred.
- Proficient use of MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc).
- Previous experience with UN/UNDP managed programmes is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English, Dari and Pashtu is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Jalalabad
- Grade: SC-9/SB-4, Local Service Contract - Junior level
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Closing Date: 2017-08-29