Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative (ARR), the Operations Coordinator (Analyst) manages the Operations team and is responsible for the effective planning and delivery of operational services. This includes the day to day management of the CO’s financial, human resources, procurement, administration, ICT, logistical and common services, consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The main role of the Operations Coordinator is to provide advice on operational matters and lead the planning and coordination of all operational support, guaranteeing consistent service delivery and constantly evaluating and adjusting the delivery strategies taking into account changes in the operating environment.
The Operations Coordinator guides the CO Operations team and works in close collaboration with the Programme and Strategic Development Units within the office, as well as project staff. S/he fosters collaboration with other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs (BMS and GSSU in particular), Regional Hub for LAC and Government officials to successfully deliver operational services.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensures proper planning and strategic direction of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Ensures full compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets (BSC), office budget (IWP) and monitoring of achievement of results.
· Plans and delivers efficient operational services and coordinates the Operations team.
· Analyzes CO business processes mapping and the operating environment and contributes to internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical services, Administration, ICT and assets management.
· Acts as liaison with GSSU and Regional Hub for LAC in Panama on behalf of CO and projects.
· Contributes to the elaboration and implementation of cost-reduction, cost recovery and full Direct Project costing (DPC) strategies.
· Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of operations and risk mitigating strategies.
· Manages collaboration arrangements with current and potential operational partners, suppliers and government counterparts.
· Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and sharing with regards to operations processes in the CO.
2. Manages the implementation of financial processes for the CO in line with the corporate initiative on clustering of services for outsourcing of financial services, ensuring all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified in compliance with IPSAS as outlined in the corporate policies and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Continuous analysis and monitoring of the financial situation, presentation of forecasts for management projects.
· Implementation of proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
· Performance of Senior Manager role in Atlas for voucher and Treasury transactions approvals. Approval of pending disbursements as the “third authority” (cheques, bank transfers, EFT), approval of bank reconciliations.
· Implementation of cost-recovery mechanisms for CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of pro-forma invoices for UN agencies.
· Oversight of CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site.
· Monitoring of financial exception reports for unusual activities, transactions and investigation of anomalies or unusual transactions.
· Member of bank signatory panel.
· Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking system.
· Manages negotiations with the bank providing services to UNDP.
· Act as cashier for onsite transactions.
3. Manages the implementation of human resources processes for the CO in line with corporate initiative on clustering of services for outsourcing of human resources services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Ensures CO compliance with corporate human resources policies, provides strategic direction to all recruitment efforts and
· Oversees that recruitment processes are in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
· Coordinates the implementation of proper performance management and staff development systems.
· Implementation of the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to appropriate learning activities.
4 . Manages implementation of procurement and logistical services, asset management for the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
· CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement.
· Contributes to the elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, guiding the management of contracts and contractors and legal implications.
· Supervision of procurement processes and logistical services in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, acting as Senior Manager in Atlas for Purchase orders approvals.
· Oversight of the proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services, including full compliance with IPSAS in the accounting for the procurement, utilization and disposal of the CO’s assets.
5. Supervises the provision of information and communication technologies services focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
· Analyzes and contributes to the identification of opportunities to ameliorate business processes into web-based systems to enhance efficiency and full accountability.
· Oversees the maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries.
· Research and identification of systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
· Supports common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Supports implementation of harmonized approach to common services management in line with the latest developments in common services and the best practices.
· Proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
· Supports the implementation of the SOPs for the joint effort of the UN Country Team.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
· Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
· Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
· Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
· Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
· Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
· Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
· Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
· Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
· Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
· Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
· Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.2: Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
· Maintains information/databases on system design features
· Develops simple system components
Level 1.2: Establishes effective client relationships
· Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
· Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
· Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
· Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.2: Basic monitoring
· Gathers, analyses and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
· Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
· Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
· Self-development, initiative-taking
· Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
· Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
· Creating synergies through self-control
· Managing conflict
· Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
· Informed and transparent decision making
UNDP Certification programmes: Prince2, Procurement, HR, Accounting and Finance
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field .
Up to two years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management system.
Fluency in English and Spanish, both oral and written, is required; working knowledge of other UN official language or other language at the duty station is an asset.
Must have Costa Rican nationality
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: San José
- Grade: NO-A, National Professional Officer - Junior level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-09-08