Project Officer/Agriculture and Rural Development - Support to Agriculture and Rural Development through promotion of confidence building measures Programme/UNDP Moldova
The EU-UNDP Support to Agriculture and Rural Development through Promotion of Confidence Building Measures Programme aims, as an overall objective, to foster confidence building in the Republic of Moldova by targeting regions and territorial administrative units with special status ensuring that people from ATU Gagauzia, Taraclia district and neighbouring communities benefit from improved development opportunities in their localities, grasping the benefits of the National Agriculture and Rural Development Strategy.
The proposed intervention will aim to address key gaps identified in the main strategic document of the region’s development in line with national priorities. It will contribute to fostering confidence building in the Republic of Moldova by enhancing the competitiveness of the agro-food sector in the target regions, promotion of local entrepreneurship, creation of jobs and raising income; as well as increasing capacities of local communities to identify development ideas, develop and fundraise resources, as well as implement development projects.
All activities will be implemented in line with the confidence building approach, connecting region’s authorities and structures to the national ones, facilitating dialogue and inclusion in development of national strategies, as well as connecting neighbouring villages through inter municipal cooperation.
It will be implemented under the following three components:
Component 1: Enhanced Dialogue and Community Empowerment.
Component 2: Local entrepreneurship and SMEs development
Component 3: Small-Scale Infrastructure Refurbishment and Promotion of Inter-Municipal Cooperation
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Officer/Agriculture and Rural Development will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Manager, as well as in close coordination with the Chief Technical Adviser and Programme Team, to contribute to an effective and efficient implementation of the Programme. In this regard, the incumbent carries out actions supporting the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of project activities, applying and promoting the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Project Officer/Agriculture and Rural Development works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Officer /Agriculture and Rural Development, will ensure the provision of services and products related in particular to enhancing the competitiveness of the agro-food sector in the target regions, promotion of local entrepreneurship, creation of jobs and raising incomes. The above will be provided to national counterparts and clients while respecting the highest quality and UNDP standards, through applying gender mainstreaming and the human-rights based approach. More specifically:
- Ensure practical coordination of assigned areas of project activities in order to meet expected results. Contribute to the annual activity and procurement work plans as well as budgets based on expected year end outputs. Ensure close monitoring of activities and disbursements;
- Ensure the implementation of the support to agriculture and rural development sub-projects, and provide necessary support to implementing partners;
- Support sub-project development and formulation. Design, plan and monitor sub-projects. Ensure the high quality of the concept papers, terms of references, proposal outlines and agreements in close cooperation with service providers and/or grant recipients;
- Establish monitoring and evaluation systems. Establish a system of progress review with each of the implementing partners;
- Ensure timely submission of financial and activity reports by implementing partners, and ensure harmonized reporting by recipients on key performance indicators;
- Advise service providers and/or grant recipients on strategies to facilitate results-based implementation of sub-project activities, and ensure constant feedback on quality of their implementation, suggesting corrective measures as necessary;
- Support the selection, capacity assessment, contracting, monitoring, evaluation and audit of recipients, ensuring compliance with UNDP regulations;
- Contribute to the preparation of qualitative work plans and financial progress reports as may be required by the Programme Manager. Provide close support for the preparation of procurement/contracting and financial delivery reports for UNDP management. Timely submit the above mentioned deliverables;
- Contribute to the wide dissemination and visibility of project achievements. Support mechanisms for exchange of information, experience and lessons learned at the local and national levels;
- Maintain close coordination with assigned project partners, helping at ensuring synergies and avoiding overlaps in project implementation.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful implementation and achievement of the objectives of the Programme. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board and UNDP management.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Collaborates with regional, national and local partners to create and apply knowledge and concepts that will help partners achieve the Programme’s development objectives within the country and regional context
- Understands more advanced aspects related to Rural and Agricultural Development as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Strong analytical, drafting and communication skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results-Based Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of Programme, managing data, reporting
- Ability to provide input to business processes, re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems.
- Ability to engage with various partners and stakeholders at different levels, to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government and represent UNDP in national and regional fora.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, capacity to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
- Capacity to implement the strategic vision and programmatic goals of the Programme;
- Proven performance in organizing and coordinating major initiatives, events or challenging inter-organizational activities;
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team and to foster team spirit and synergy
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University/ Master’s Degree in agriculture, rural development, economics, public administration, or related areas. Additional training and certification in project management would be an advantage.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience is required at the national or international level in the areas of agriculture and rural development, and/or agricultural competitiveness. (Experience of work in Gagauzia/Taraclia and/or in programmes financed by European Commission is a very strong advantage).
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work (agriculture and rural development) for a development organization, governmental institution, NGO or private sector is a strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Chişinău (Moldova)
- Grade: SC-9/SB-4, Local Service Contract - Junior level
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-09-04
Paris | Port-au-Prince (France)
Paris | Port-au-Prince (France)
Asylum Support Officer – Dublin ( Temporary Agent, AD 5 ) in the European Asylum Support Office (EASOEASO - European Asylum Support Office
AD-5, Administrator - Internationally recruited position
P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
Multiple locations (Various)
P-2, International Professional - Open for OSCE's 57 participating States