Since mid 1990’s, UNDP has been supporting the Government of Uzbekistan in its efforts to build and deepen national capacities for policy analysis focusing primarily on national think tanks such as the Center for Economic Research (CER), but also extending support to other think tanks (including the Institute for Forecasting and Macroeconomic Research, since 2009). This support has focused on promoting the use of relevant data, modern statistical and analytical tools, appropriate use of international experience, lessons learned and best practices, and expanding the use of modern knowledge dissemination channels among the expert community and for educating the public.
Following the Government’s Resolution to localize SDGs (issued on 15 February 2016), a Coordination Committee headed by the Ministry of Economy has been set up, together with six Working Groups, which correspond to the six thematic groups of UNDAF 2016-2020. UNDP, as part of the UN Country Team, has actively supported the Coordination Committee and the working groups in conducting the initial research, mapping of national programmes and priorities with SDGs. With the set of national SDGs and corresponding targets and indicators formulated, there is big work ahead on coordinating and approving them with the government and among government agencies, developing and incorporating the localized SDGs into national policies and programmes, as well as developing necessary local capacities to plan, monitor and evaluate the programs and SDG implementation. In addition, there is a pressing need to address critical data and methodological gaps to inform the above process.
In the national context, the government has also recently adopted a comprehensive medium-term Action Strategy on Further Development of the Republic of Uzbekistan for 2017-2021, which covers five important directions: 1. Public administration and civil reform; 2. Rule of law and judicial reforms; 3. Development and liberalization of economy; 4. Social sector development; and 5. Security, tolerance, and foreign policy. Clearly, these have strong linkages with the global 2030 Agenda and SDGs and targets.
Given the new and more ambitious global and national agenda, stronger partnerships and networks of cooperation between the international community, governments, International financial institutions (IFIs), academia, expert community, civil society and other stakeholders will be of critical significance. In particular, with the increased demands for data gathering, analysis and information sharing on SDGs, UNDP continues to build on its fruitful partnerships with the national stakeholders in charge of policy research (ie, the think tanks) in the framework of the new development agenda.
The primary aim of the new project is to support the Government of Uzbekistan in policy research, formulation, planning and monitoring for the post-2015 sustainable development agenda, in particular the Sustainable Development Goals. In this, UNDP will partner with the leading national think tanks (Center for Economic Research, Institute of Forecasting and Macroeconomic Research, Institute for Social Research, and the newly established Center of Development Strategy) to facilitate the necessary policy dialogue, inter-agency and multi-stakeholder consultations, and joint research involving international and local experts (including from other national research institutions and government agencies). The project activities will be focused on achieving the following key results:
- Localization of SDGs, together with national targets and indicators, as well as facilitating the adoption, implementation, and monitoring of national programmes (action plans) to achieve the SDGs; and
Improved understanding and development of policy solutions on pressing issues of sustainable development and accumulation of knowledge and policy options to address them (ie., labour market issues and employment promotion, resource efficiency, equitable, pro-poor, and inclusive growth, promotion of green economy and green jobs, poverty and inequality assessment, green climate financing, and effective institutions) through extensive and participatory policy dialogue, stronger communication and outreach.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager. The Research Coordinator will ensure delivery of project research, knowledge, and policy products in accordance with annual project work plans through performing the following duties and responsibilities:
Commission, oversee and support research activities on defined sustainable development issues and topics:
- Undertake bibliographic and documentary search in support of research papers;
- Ensure academic and factual integrity of studies and research undertaken under the project;
- Identify, collect and analyze economic and social data related to research papers;
- Develop relevant TORs and outlines for research (as per work-plan);
- Contribute to selection of national experts to be involved in the research activity and coordinate their work in a group;
- Coordinate the preparation of research papers, methodical documents, draft law, review and comment drafts of the papers and other written materials prepared by team of national consultants;
- Contribute to compilation, editing and finalization of written materials prepared by team of national consultants;
- Prepare infographics, one-pages, and other knowledge materials based on the results and findings of the research and studies;
- Support in organizing discussions and peering reviews of the draft papers, methodical documents, laws;
- Promote to the possible extent the involvement of international and independent expertise in research activities;
Undertake ad hoc research tasks as may be required by Project Manager; this may include involvement in training activities, both as a mentor and a trainee;
Support the project fund-raising activities, related to research activities;
Support in enhancing public awareness of project activities’ findings through organization of briefings, round-table discussions, seminars, workshops, web-site discussion forum, etc.;
Actively promote knowledge sharing, including through preparation of regular project publications, infographics, one-pages, other knowledge materials, etc;
Work in accordance with UNDP rules and procedures;
Perform other duties as required in the scope of current position.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team leader and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
Communications and Networking
- Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Focuse on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Competent in leading team and creating team spirit, stimulating team members to produce quality outputs in a timely and transparent fashion.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor degree in economics, public or business management, development studies, statistics, sustainable development, or related fields;
- At least 3 years of work experience in the field of applied socio-economic research and/or upstream policy advice;
- Fluency in Russian and English. Knowledge of Uzbek will be an asset;
- Ability to use information and communication technology as a tool and resource;
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tashkent
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract
- Closing Date: 2017-09-07