Local Field Coordinator
UNDP Albania is currently implementing a significant number of environmental projects related to ecosystem management, pollution, nature protection, climate change, etc. The projects are part of the UNDP Country Programme They support the national Government to implement the international Conventions ratified by Albania and to achieve the sustainable development of the country.
UNDP has supported the Albanian Government to improve the coverage and management effectiveness of Albania’s network of marine and coastal protected areas as an essential complement to its network of terrestrial protected areas and contribute to Albania’s obligations under different UN Conventions and the EU accession process. Significant achievements were made in the Vlora region by catalyzing the involvement of stakeholders and by supporting the establishment of a clear institutional and legal framework for MCPA designation and management. However, multiple stages of development are needed before an Albanian ecologically representative MCPA network is fully realized and can provide coastal communities with sustained benefits from the marine and coastal environment.
Environmentally friendly approaches to natural resources use management, marine and coastal protected area management, agriculture, forestry and fishery management, and spatial planning will first be piloted in Vlora region.
The Field/ Local Coordinator role is indispensable particularly in maintaining dynamic links and communication locally.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of the assignment
The Field/ Local Coordinator provides support to the Programme Officer and Project Manager in maintaining links and communication locally. He/her will be under the overall supervision of the Project manager and directly reporting to her, providing continuous performance of the tasks assigned for implementation at local level, to ensure participation, involvement and liaison among local partners, stakeholders and local institutions concerned, facilitating project activities in Vlora region, particularly local authorities, local users, fishery associations, NGOs and economic operators acting in the coastal area whose activities, plans and goals relate to marine area management, planning and conservation.
Tasks, duties and responsibilities
The Field/ Local Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Develop detailed work plan for the site level activities in close consultation with the project manager ensure that specified tasks are undertaken as organized and planned;
- Support the work in local level of consultants and contracted organizations and provide technical input where appropriate and contribute substantive technical input per his/her area of relevant expertise;
- Liaise and collaborate with local authorities, local institutions, communities, local NGOs, other stakeholders and representatives of international organizations in district level;
- Assist the Regional Administration of Protected Areas in Vlora as the secretariat for the management committee, draft the agenda in collaboration with the chairperson, and write minutes of the discussions and report them to the project manager;
- Prepare and transmit to the project manager the minutes of the local meetings and other documents required for the efficient monitoring of project activities. Write all the necessary report required within UNDP cycle and any other upon request of the project manager regarding project site level activities implementation status;
- Assist the project manager in identifying local experts and consultants and NGOs to be involved in project site level activities;
- Assist the project manager in preparing and supervising the issuing of subcontracts for the project site level activities, their application and certify the delivery reports;
- Circulate in site level and to the project manager, the information concerning the projects, its activities, and the wider activities of other institutions/ donors specifically concerning Vlora bay;
- Build effective working relationships with the project’s key partners at Vlora region and in other neighbour areas (like Himara, Saranda): i) the Vlora Regional Administration of Protected Areas to ensure institutional support and sustainability of the activities; ii) Vlora Municipality to ensure that project-inspired activities proceed with the full support and involvement of local stakeholders; iii) local institutions to ensure proper coordination iv) Vlora University to ensure the involvement of the local scientists and researchers ; and v) private sector, resource users, local NGOs, etc.;
- Update the list of stakeholders in Vlora region and neighbour areas (like Himara, Saranda);
- Prepare and submit monthly reports to the project manager about the activities carried out in project site level;
- Oversee effective ongoing project activities whereby the project assesses best practices and gains experience. This will include encouraging an atmosphere of adaptive management in the project, (i.e. organizing round table discussions on project successes and failures) where people focus on meaningful results “on the ground”, rather than generating reports;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Sensitivity to cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age differences.
- Act as a team player while also taking individual initiative to complete outlined tasks;
- Sharing knowledge - across the programme in particular and the organization in general -through supporting the building of a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Ability to use creative and effective communication tools that captures the attention of non-technical stakeholders;
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point etc.);
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, strong cultural sensitivity and ability to work in multi-cultural environments
Required Skills and Experience
- Master degree in social sciences or equivalent.
- At least 5 (five) years professional experience in coordination at local level with focus on local institutions and local authorities;
- Previous work experience in projects related to Marine and Coastal protected areas in Vlora region is an advantage;
- Previous experience with UNDP /other international donors in the region will be an asset;
- Good working knowledge of English and Albanian.
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to apply no later than 31 August 2017.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via UNDP Albania website: http://www.al.undp.org/content/albania/en/home/operations/jobs/.
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials. Qualified women and members of social minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tirana
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract - Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-08-31