National Environmental Technical Expert
UNDP Albania is currently implementing a significant number of environmental projects related to ecosystem management, pollution, nature protection, climate change, etc. The projects are part of the UNDP Country Programme They support the national Government to implement the international Conventions ratified by Albania and to achieve the sustainable development of the country.
UNDP has supported the Albanian Government to improve the coverage and management effectiveness of Albania’s network of marine and coastal protected areas as an essential complement to its network of terrestrial protected areas and contribute to Albania’s obligations under different UN Conventions and the EU accession process. Significant achievements were made in the Vlora region by catalyzing the involvement of stakeholders and by supporting the establishment of a clear institutional and legal framework for MCPA designation and management. However, multiple stages of development are needed before an Albanian ecologically representative MCPA network is fully realized and can provide coastal communities with sustained benefits from the marine and coastal environment.
Environmentally friendly approaches to natural resources use management, marine and coastal protected area management, agriculture, forestry and fishery management, and spatial planning will first be piloted in Vlora region.
Duties and Responsibilities
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The National Project Technical expert will provide analytical and technical support to the implementation of the project and will work under the supervision of the Project Manager. He/she will work closely with National Agency of Protected Areas (NAPA) staff, local targeted authorities, and other government/ institutions as relevant to project activities on marine and coastal management.
TASKS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Technical expert is responsible for:
- Timely implementation, as agreed in the annual work plans, of the project with focus on marine biodiversity conservation and MCPA management according to UNDP commitments with the Albanian Government.
- Assisting the Project Coordinator and project team in technical aspects related to project implementation.
- Providing technical and logistical support to the Project Coordinator and project consultants in conducting different project activities.
- Assisting the national and international experts in order to facilitate their site visits and other activities.
I. Provide analytical and technical support to the Project manager in the following areas:
Planning, implementation and monitoring
- Formulate coordinated approaches and plans to support the implementation of the project;
- Support the preparation of work plans and operation plan for project; monitor progress and advise on timely corrective actions;
- Monitor progress and advise on timely corrective actions;
- Identify new areas of support and facilitate implementation of new initiatives;
- Contribute with substantive technical inputs on issues pertaining to marine ecosystem management, marine biodiversity conservation, environment monitoring and management, make presentations to development partners as required.
Procurement and recruitment
- Prepare the ToRs for experts and technical specifications for goods and services;
- Assist the Project Manager in the identification of the short term experts and companies for the project activities;
- Organize, facilitate and support the work of the consultants and sub-contracted companies under the project’s outcomes;
- Participate in the evaluation of bids and offers submitted by vendors;
- Participate in the selection process when requested;
II. Provide support to the field activities:
- Support coordination of activities implemented at local level, share and promote information, ensure communication;
- Support and advise on day to day activities;
- Ensure sound and effective missions’ coordination;
- In close cooperation with the Local Coordinator identify, involve and mobilize local resources (local authorities, NGOs, Community Based Organizations) into project activities for ensuring maximum coordination with their programmes;
- Define the training needs on local level, organize and participate actively in the national and regional training programs.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Sensitivity to cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age differences.
- Act as a team player while also taking individual initiative to complete outlined tasks;
- Sharing knowledge - across the programme in particular and the organization in general -through supporting the building of a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Good analytical skills, effective communication and training skills/competence in handling external relations at all levels;
- Experience in project and programme management, including project formulation and implementation;
- Ability to work in a team and to motivate other team members and counterparts;
- Good knowledge of the current scope and institutional setup related to Marine and Coastal Protected Areas in Albania, marine biodiversity and the required changes to address Albania’s EU accession requirements;
- Knowledge of the international experiences and best practices to promote Marine and Coastal Protected Areas as well as Marine Biodiversity is an advantage;
Required Skills and Experience
The minimum required qualifications as well as the preferred professional and educational assets for the interested candidates are listed below:
- Master Degree in Natural Sciences
- At least 10 years’ experience in environmental field ;
- At least 7 years of working experience in protected areas and marine protected areas ;
- Previous experience/familiarity with UNDP (or other donors/international organization) is an advantage.
- Very good working knowledge of English
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to apply no later than 31 August 2017.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via UNDP Albania website: http://www.al.undp.org/content/albania/en/home/operations/jobs/.
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials. Qualified women and members of social minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tirana
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-09-04