Chief Housing Engineer RS
- Socially and economically vulnerable households, rendered homeless by the 2014 disaster, provided with new homes;
- Socially and economically vulnerable households, residing in disaster-affected substandard housing, benefit from restored and improved homes (The standards are based on the relevant guidelines proscribed by the Sectoral Working Group of the State Ministry for Human Rights and Refugees);
- Livelihoods needs identified, enabling tailoring of income generation support for housing assistance beneficiaries;
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides strategic guidance and technical inputs to the Project Manager supporting formulation and management of the housing component through preparation of annual and monthly workplans that will establish priorities, timelines, targets and standards for monitoring results;
- Coordinates housing component activities and processes and provide direction to Project team members throughout implementation of the housing component;
- Monitors the implementation and provides strategic advice to the Project Manager on potential risk and issues and their mitigation measures;
- Supports the Project Manager in planning and managing financial and other resources for the housing component;
- Ensures full accountability, transparency and the principle of competition in the allocation of resources, procurement of services, works and goods and selection of beneficiaries for housing interventions;
- Provides support in organization of external evaluation of the project.
- Performs regular field visits to several potential locations requiring specific technical assistance and, based on performed assessment, recommend best solution (location, access, access to electricity and water, etc.) for project implementation;
- Prepares recommendations for housing interventions including Bill of Quantities (BoQs) followed by drawings when needed;
- Preparation of Terms of References (ToR) for detailed design for construction of the houses where needed.
- Participates in preselection of applications;
- Participates in field verification missions;
- Monitors beneficiary selection process led by the partners in the project.
- Prior to tendering processes, reviews and assesses technical design documents for housing interventions (reviews technical documentation, estimation of costs, technical descriptions, design and specific drawings, participates in the evaluation of bids process) for specific projects. If required, technical description and documentation shall adopt to the energy efficiency requirements to the extent possible, as well use of renewable energy sources;
- Provides technical assistance in establishment of common grounds for minimum standards requirements for the implementation of specific (re)construction tasks as required by the specific project;
- Reviews developed technical project and tender documentation (ToR, tender dossier, tender evaluation, etc.) for the implementation of specific (re)construction tasks as required by the specific project and specified by the Programme/Project;
- Ensures that necessary supporting documentation is in place prior to issuance of tender;
- Participates in and/or oversees evaluation of bids and selection of best bidder to the tender for (re)construction works and assessment of the bidder’s competencies and experience against minimum qualification requirements as per the Request for Proposal/Invitation to Bid requirements;
- Analyses and review the offered unit rates against the cost estimate in correlation with BoQs, provided by a design company, and to assess whether they are realistic;
- Provides written report about the compliance of the evaluation process with UNDP procurement procedures;
- Performs number of monitoring field/on-site visits, upon engagement of a Construction Company for the provision of re/construction activities for the specific required projects (introduction of construction companies to the site, frequent visits to the construction site until completion of the works and participation in final acceptance) during the specific assignment;
- Ensures that technical documentation on construction site is maintained in accordance with relevant national laws and standards and contract for works;
- Signs off the final handover documentation upon completion of all (re)construction works in each project;
- Prepares and maintains status reports for projects under implementation and for completed projects;
- Coordinates the quality assurance phase of the respective component.
- Communicates on regular basis with project partners in all stages of project implementation (beneficiary selection, verification, construction, handover) ensuring monitoring and coordination of activities of the partners in the Project;
- Monitors reporting by the partners;
- Provides technical and administrative support to the partners where needed;
- Assists in the management of logistical support to the Project;
- Prepares and maintains status reports for projects under implementation and for completed projects.
- The key results have an impact on the efficient, effective, transparent and accountable implementation of the Project activities.
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work;
- Researches linkages across project activities to identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects implementation;
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, disabilities, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Managing conflict;
- Informed and transparent decision making;
- Possesses strong ICT skills;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
Required Skills and Experience
- BSc in civil engineering or architecture from a recognized university;
- Master’s degree would be an asset;
- Professional licensure in areas of architecture or civil engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in the relevant field of civil engineering, especially in preparation of construction technical documentation;
- Experience in working in complex environments and large infrastructure and/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision;
- Experience in supervising medium to large-scale construction works in high rise construction sector;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the Entities’ Spatial Planning and Construction Acts, by-laws regulating the construction of similar public facilities, technical regulations, general and special technical conditions and professional codes;
- Experience on similar projects with focus on specific area (environmental protection, human development, rural and regional development, etc.);
- Knowledge of BiH regulations and requirements on procurement, tendering and contracting;
- Working experience within the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical/(re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills;
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of environment, climate change and Energy Efficiency (EE) issues and their importance in the regional and local context to be able to take into consideration EE standards as much as possible as well as introduction of use of renewable energy sources as part of preparation of specific technical documentation;
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and local partners;
- Knowledge of the UNDP and EC rules, procedures and regulations would be an asset.
- Working knowledge and ability to write in both English and the languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Sarajevo
- Grade: SB-4, Service Contract - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-08-31