National Project Engineer
Zimbabwe gained independence in April 1980.The health infrastructure in Zimbabwe has deteriorated tremendously over the years. In view of the deteriorated health infrastructure and the need to cope with the additional needs the Global Fund has provided grants to support and help Zimbabwe through the Ministry of Health and Childcare to deal with the situation. Several infrastructure projects are expected to be funded in this regard namely the construction and renovation of pharmacy stores in several health facilities in different locations of Zimbabwe.
In terms of the project governance, the client is the Government of Zimbabwe through the Ministry of Health and Child Welfare. Funding is from the Global Fund through UNDP Zimbabwe as the Principal Recipient (PR). Other actors are the Ministry of Public Works and also the Local Authorities and Councils.
The National Project Engineer will provide technical assistance and expertise with reference to the construction works as well as field coordination, supervision and monitoring and ensuring high quality and consistency of work, for the a/m construction works . The National Project Engineer promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Project Team.
The National Project Engineer will report to the Project Manager.
CANDIDATES SHOULD LOCAL ZIMBABWEANS OR SHOULD BE ABLE TO WORK AND LIVE IN ZIMBABWE.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Preparation of tender documentation and participation in tendering
- Construction supervision and monitoring
- Preparation of designs as requested by the Project Manager
- Ensuring that the designs meet expectations
- Coordination of the approval of the designs with the relevant authorities
Preparation of tender documentation and participation in tendering
- Supports the technical team in the preparation of tender documents comprising of Drawings, Specificationsand Bills of Quantities
- Participate in the tendering and tender evaluation process
Construction Supervision and Monitoring
- Plan and coordinate work activities with the Project Manager.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Project Manager.
- Provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
- Monitor contractor presence on the project site, including Bill of Quantities (BoQ) as per approved contract.
- Provide data and information about project work to Project Manager for reporting purposes.
- Provide monthly report to the Project Manager detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Project Manager
- As tasked by the Project Manager, supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Project Managerin the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stake holder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Oversee surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge and commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation and focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors and other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner and to manage priorities
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project and in accordance with UNDP shared goals
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Architecture or related field is required.
- A combination of diploma with an additional 5 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience, related to the project requirements, in civil engineering construction management is required.
- Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments is desirable.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Harare
- Grade: National Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-08-28