67923 - Internship Programme for Communication Unit
“UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in 177 countries and territories, UNDP offers global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations.”UNDP Indonesia's mission is to be an agent for change in the human and social development of Indonesia. We aim to be a bridge between Indonesia and all donors as well as a trusted partner to all stakeholders. We work in four key areas of development: Governance Reforms, Pro-Poor Policy Reforms, Conflict Prevention and Recovery, and Environment Management, with the overarching aim of reducing poverty in Indonesia. Besides the four priority areas, UNDP Indonesia is also engaged in a variety of crosscutting initiatives focused on HIV/AIDS, gender equality, and information and technology for development.”
UNDP Office has organised internship programme to provide a framework by which students from diverse academic backgrounds may be assigned to UNDP offices, where their educational experience can be enhanced through practical work assignments as well providing an opportunity to make substantive contributions to an office’s work. The current internship will provide opportunity for student student who just recently graduated to learn some aspects to learn some aspects of communication.
The intern will provide administrative as well as strategic supports to Communication unit, a very small operation which is in the process of reviewing its internal standard of operation and drafting its communication strategy for the organization. The unit is also re-establishing contacts with key media in Indonesia. He/she will be assigned to conduct media monitoring in the press and keep a close tab of UNDP’s social media accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key responsibilities:
- Provision of support for activities with key medias
- Researching and collecting information for UNDP’s communication strategy.
- Provision of support in monitoring of key social events which UNDP can participate.
- Perform any other administrative and logistical tasks assigned by the Communication Associate / Analyst
The intern will undertake the following tasks:
- Organizing meet and greet sessions between UNDP and key medias and other functions relating to media.
- Organizing a data base of key contacts in the media
- Conducting media monitoring and highlighting potential topics/ issues which UNDP can take part of.
- Support the website content of UNDP, collecting information and preparation for UNDP websites.
- Support the organization in for the preparation of UN day.
- Updating content of UNDP social accounts such as twitter and facebook.
- Analysis on media coverage regarding issues related to projects conducted by UNDP.
- A comprehensive list of media contacts.
- Up-to-date content of UNDP social accounts.
- Effective support for communication unit.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
Development and Operational Effectivenss:
- Ability to provide basic administrative support services
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity
Required Skills and Experience
The following minimum qualifications are required:
- Enrolment in a graduate-level degree programme in communication, journalistic, or relevant disciplines. For those who have graduated , if selected must start the internship within one year of graduation.
- A clear understanding of media structure in Indonesia including their readership/ viewership and their political agenda.
- A clear understanding of news and current affairs, he/she must be a news junkie and follow the political and social development of the country.
- A genuine interest in social media such as twitter and facebook .
- Proficiency in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Computer literate in standard software applications; Power point knowledge is a real plus point.
- Demonstrated keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNDP in particular, and have a personal commitment to UNDP's Statement of Purpose and to the ideals of the UN Charter;
- Demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views
- An interest in global mobility; adaptability to varied physical and other environments; a desire to work with and gain the confidence and respect of people with different language, national and cultural backgrounds.
Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP.
All costs connected with an intern's participation in the Programme must be borne by:
- the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students;
- the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his/her own arrangements for travel (including to and from the office), visas, accommodation, etc.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Jakarta
- Grade: Internship
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-12-30