Humanitarian Protection and Mediation Manager
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the camp management, shelter, education, food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC has been present in DRC since 2001 and currently runs operations in the eastern provinces of North & South Kivu, with offices in Goma, Bukavu and Beni. The programme has an annual turnover of approximately NOK 140 mill. (2016). The DR Congo operation responds to populations affected by conflict and displacement in North and South Kivu provinces.We reached 381.342 individuals in 2016 with education, food security, ICLA, WASH/shelter and emergency response.
We are now looking for a Humanitarian Protection and Mediation Manager for a new pilot project.
- Develop Protection and Humanitarian Mediation strategy and work plans for NRC DR Congo
- Develop and mainstream integrated protection approach to the Core Competencie’s strategy and country programme
- Technical support to the implementation of Protection and Humanitarian mediation work plans
- Provide regular reports on relevant context shifts and conflict trend analysis
- Define and implement technical direction. Ensure high technical quality of Protection and Humanitarian Mediation components / projects / activities
- Support and supervise systematic and regular conflict sensitive analysis in areas of interventions for both NRC and the larger Humanitarian Community
- Support the facilitation of access coordination groups which NRC participates in
- Identify and provide relevant trainings to protection and humanitarian mediation team on conflict sensitive - and protection analysis and monitoring, protection mainstreaming, humanitarian mediation planning process and humanitarian mediation engagement
- Prepare applications, budgets and reports to relevant donors
- Relevant university degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level analyst position in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical skills and expertise in mediation and protection (including protection mainstreaming)
- Proven field experience in mediation and protection
- Technical expertise and field experience in conflict sensitive- and protection analysis and monitoring
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge of the context in DRC
- Strategic thinking
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments
- Strong interpersonal skills, including capacities to negotiate with non-government stakeholders
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: September 2017
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions and free housing of moderate standard.
- Duty station: Goma, with 65% travels. Goma is a non-family posting. International staff members are required to live in joint accommodation.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Human Resources
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-09-08