International Consultant for Filmmaking and Editing of 360 Video on the Roma Community in Albania
Roma are among the most deprived peoples in Europe. Many of the 10–12 million Roma who live in Europe still live in a state of poverty. Around 80 percent of those living in EU countries earn less than is necessary to meet their most basic needs. Two thirds of young people – a majority of them women — are unemployed or out of school, while 46 percent do not have access to toilets. Nearly half of young Roma women aged 15–19 years are married or in a union. Discrimination and prejudice are important drivers of Roma exclusion and need to be tackled systematically.Roma people face intense stigma, exclusion, and stereotyping, when the Roma community is in fact diverse, rich in its history and culture and nuanced. Living standards range from poor to prosperous. The position of Roma people in society is different in every country, yet being Roma is a cause of discrimination–both from individuals and institutions. Unfortunately, for those outside the community – local or international – there are few opportunities to learn the history of the Roma and understand their nuances.
Duties and Responsibilities
UNDP’s Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) is seeking a filmmaker/editor to produce a 360 degree/virtual reality video on the Roma community in Albania. The film will highlight the story of one woman whose life exemplifies many of the deprivations of the Roma community but also reflects the diversity of the larger Roma community, and the power of the individual to improve it.The consultant will design, film, produce and deliver a film of approximately six minutes, using 360 degree camera and technology and stitching software, compatible with smartphone devices, web browsers, social media platforms and VR headset, for Albanian and international audiences.Under the supervision of the Communications team at the Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) and in close collaboration with IRH and UNDP Albania, the Consultant will:
- Establish a production plan and schedule;
- Provide feedback and help finalize the script developed by UNDP;
- Develop a detailed storyboard, outlining the video’s narrative;
- Provide all filming equipment, including VR/360 degree technology for production, post-production and export;
- Film script and b-roll in 360 format;
- Record B-roll, narration and necessary music using spatial audio;
- Record narration;
- Edit audio and video post-production, including necessary onscreen graphics;
- Incorporate feedback from UNDP IRH;
- Test file formats for in-person viewing and online;
- Deliver final, approved videos with narration and English subtitles in multiple file formats for in-person viewing and online.
This assignment will be home-based, with travel to Albania for production. Consultant will film on location for app. 5 days and app. 25 days for production.The assignment should be completed by 1 December 2017.Deliverables and payment schedule:
20% after completion of following deliverables:
- Deliverable 1 - Establish production plan and schedule Plan and schedule by 1 October 2017
- Deliverable 2 - Provide feedback and help finalize the script developed by UNDP offices in Istanbul and Tirana Final script by 1 October 2017
80% after completion of following deliverables:
- Deliverable 3 - Develop a detailed storyboard, outlining the video’s narrative Storyboard by 15 October 2017;
- Deliverable 4 - Film script, interviews, and b-roll in 360 format, incorporating inputs from UNDP Filming complete by 15 October 2017;
- Deliverable 5 - Record B-roll, narration, and necessary music using spatial audio Audio recording complete by 15 October 2017;
- Deliverable 6 - Audio and video post-production, including necessary onscreen graphics First cut edits by 7 November 2017;
- Deliverable 7 - Incorporate feedback from UNDP Istanbul Revised version by 15 November 2017;
- Deliverable 8 - Test file formats for in-person viewing and online Testing report by 18 November 2017;
- Deliverable 9 - Deliver final file formats for in-person viewing and online Delivery of final files by 25 November 2017.
Final products:The Consultant will deliver a six minute 360 degree video in .mov, compatible with iOS and Android, major web browsers and social media sites (Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari), and mainstream VR headsets (Oculus, Samsung, HTC). The video will be complete with Albanian narration and dialogue, plus English subtitles.Copyrights and rights:UNDP will have exclusive rights to the all the footage and final product. Credit will be given to the filmmaker.UNDP has the right to use the video in perpetuity in web and on multimedia platforms and upload it to our database.
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UNDP in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity;
- Demonstrating strong ethics and integrity;
- Ability to work in multicultural environments;
- Ability to communicate effectively within the team.
- Interest in and general knowledge of development issues, especially inequalities and poverty
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, in Media, Communications, History, Anthropology, or related field
- At least 5 years of professional working experience in video production,
- At least 1 year of working experience in VR/360 video production and post-production
- Working experience in sound design
- Experience working with different video formats and video file conversions,
- Experience with VR/360 encoding and metadata,
- Experience with 360 video post-production and online publishing for Facebook, YouTube and other social media sites,
- Experience related to the promotion of development issues
- Fluency in English
Evaluation of Applicants
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal.The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:a) responsive/compliant/acceptable, andb) Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical (P11 desk reviews and evaluation of samples) and financial criteria specific to the solicitation. Only the highest ranked candidates who would be found qualified for the job will be considered for the Financial Evaluation.Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max. 70 points:
- Criteria A – samples - (experience in VR/360 video production and post-production) – max points: 20;
- Criteria B – samples - (experience in sound design)– max points: 10;
- Criteria C (experience working with different video formats and video file conversions) – max points: 10;
- Criteria D (experience with VR/360 encoding and metadata) – max points: 10;
- Criteria E (experience with 360 video post-production and online publishing for Facebook, YouTube and other social media sites) – max points: 10;
- Criteria F (experience related to the promotion of development issues) - max points: 10.
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max. 30 points.Application procedures:
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position. Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application.
- Selection of video samples
- CV and filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from http://europeandcis.undp.org/files/hrforms/P11_modified_for_SCs_and_ICs.doc ); please upload the P11 in addition your CV.
- Financial Proposal* in USD - specifying a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this announcement. The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (number of anticipated working days, travel, per diems for up to 5 working days** and any other possible costs).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials
*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination, personal security needs and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services...). All envisaged travel costs must be included in the financial proposal. ** Exact number of days spent on missions, should be specified by the consultant in the price offer.Payments will be made only upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner. Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.orgGeneral Terms and conditions as well as other related documents can be found under: http://on.undp.org/t7fJs.Qualified women and members of minorities are encouraged to apply.Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Khartoum
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Social studies
- Closing Date: 2017-09-05