Title: Livelihoods Officer
Reports to: Field Coordinator
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 months
Posting date: August 28, 2017
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Oversee and manage DRC’s Livelihood activities in Dimma and Okugo Refugee Camp
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Plan, supervise and facilitate DRC’s livelihoods related interventions in the refugee camps and host community areas.
- Ensure the high quality and timeliness of DRC’s livelihoods and income generating activities.
- Primary focal person for DRC’s livelihoods interventions in Dimma;
- Collaborate with partners to prepare and conduct market assessment and analysis;
- Facilitate the establishment and smooth operation of market centres, micro-enterprises, and active engagement of households in micro garden activities.
- Oversee the smooth operation of grinding mill services in Okugo refugee camps
- Support beneficiaries in forming groups and in proper management of start-up capital
- Support market centre establishment and formation of market associations and group
- Organize and conduct trainings on income generating activities, vocational skills trainings, business and entrepreneurial skills trainings;
- Empower local authorities, communities and other stakeholders to manage and promote livelihoods and income generating opportunities.
- Develop and implement surveys and needs assessment in refugee and host community areas in collaboration with field team and other stakeholders;
- Organize and implement training for communities as per identified needs.
- Minimum two years’ experience delivering livelihoods solutions (income generating activities, vocational training, micro-financing, agricultural production, or similar) preferably in rural/refugee hosting areas;
- Minimum two years’ experience working in community development, refugee assistance and/or community mobilization;
- Experience of working with Non-Governmental organisations;
- Prior experience implementing livelihoods in refugee settings is an advantage;
- Experience working with local government organizations, planning and implementing capacity building activities, is an advantage.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct trainings and meetings;
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights
- Well-developed computer skills.
- Good organizational and people management skills
- Ability to represent the organization and influence people.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 6, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Lima
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-09-06