Web Production Consultant
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
The Communications section supports the positioning of women’s empowerment and gender equality as key issues on the international agenda and establishes UN Women’s role as the global authority in this context. This entails developing and posting regular web content and maintaining UN Women’s global website, in English, French and Spanish. The proposed Web Production Assistant will assist the Communications team in posting and developing quality editorial content on a regular basis for UN Women’s global website.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Post web stories and multi-media web editorial packages.
- Proactively search for and fix formatting problems on older editorial packages, as well as add or replace missing photographs or other media.
- Write and research editorial compilations based on international days and other news hooks
- Edit content for and lay out new landing pages and or subsections and post updates of existing pages on the UN Women website.
- Post content, upload documents and update various UN Women website pages.
- Adapt key web feature content from the global website to be posted on other external platforms, such as on Medium, and reach new audiences.
- Monitor content and suggest/cross-post content from regional and country office websites for publication on the global website.
- Monitor traffic and audience analytics of UN Women web content, creating quarterly reports on trends and progress.
- Assist with designing and implementing online web editorial training for UN Women communications specialists
- Write, edit and proofread new and existing story content.
- Write short texts and photo captions as needed for web news and editorial content.
- Provide dedicated website support directly linked to upcoming major events and intergovernmental processes in the UN Women editorial calendar, including, among others:
- UN General Assembly 72
- Rural Women, Poverty and Food Security Day
- Women Peace and Security
- International Day of the Girl Child
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women and the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence;
- COP 23;
- International Women’s Day;
- Other International Days.
• Proficiency in using new technologies, analytics tools and web -based platforms.
• Proficiency in the use of content management systems; knowledge of Sitecore is a plus.
• Proficiency in the use of HTML and CSS.
• Proven experience in the strategic use and monitoring of web contents.
• Proven experience in proofreading editorial material, including the use of style guides.
• Experience in writing for websites.
• Self-starter; organized; meticulous; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities.
Required Skills and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, computer science, web development or similar.
• Two years or more of work experience, preferably in in communications and website production.
• Fluency in English; fluency in either Spanish or French (or both) is a plus.
• Familiarity with the United Nations; UN experience is an important advantage.