Data Visualization Developer
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
UN Women is the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In 2012, UN Women has extended its work to include the Arab Region through UN Women’s Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS). UN Women is active six impact areas: political participation, economic empowerment, gender-based violence, gender-responsive budgeting, women in peace and security and HIV.
UN Women Regional Program Men and Women for Gender Equality aims to respond to new challenges and opportunities raised by the Arab uprisings regarding gender equality and women’s empowerment. It seeks to understand the root causes of gender inequalities and to address them through an innovative bottom-up approach.
The UN Women Regional Office for Arab States and Promundo-US released the regional report with the results of the International Men and Gender Equality Survey (IMAGES) – conducted in Egypt, Palestine, Morocco, and Lebanon - both internationally as well as in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. The IMAGES research, co-created and coordinated by Promundo is one of the most comprehensive studies ever on men’s practices and attitudes as they relate to gender norms, attitudes toward gender equality policies, household dynamics including caregiving and men’s involvement as fathers, intimate partner violence, health, and economic stress, and is in process or has been implemented in nearly 30 countries around the world. The research is implemented in the MENA region under the UN Women Regional Program Men and Women for Gender Equality funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Authority (SIDA).
Duties and Responsibilities
UN Women Regional Office for Arab States in Cairo requires professional services to develop and implement data visualization plan for the regional findings of IMAGES MENA, with the objective of promoting the study and expanding its outreach.
The consultant will create online and offline infographics based on the regional findings of IMAGES MENA. The expected material outputs in this category include infographics in Arabic and English, GIFs, and social media cards.
Objectives of the Assignment:
- Produce a series of creative infographics inspired by the results of IMAGES MENA;
- Develop creative social media cards for the infographics in Arabic and English;
- Conduct the necessary background research, and follow-ups for the design and content;
- Tailor and package key messages to be communicated in the creative illustrations to suit a wider audience(s);
- Provide a final report.
The consultant is required to develop the following products, and will be paid upon submitting all the deliverables:
- 50 infographics;
- 50 GIFs for each infographic;
- 50 social media cards for each infographic;
- Submit 3 different designs for the data visualization of the findings and present them to UN Women Communication team to select the best;
- Infographics should be in 2 versions; English and Arabic;
- Submission of the final material in 2 sets; a- High quality b- Compressed quality for uploading and sharing on the various internet venues.
Note: Payment will be done as a lump sum upon receipt of deliverables.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve problems;
- Strong IT skills;
- Ability to prioritize work and to multi-task;
- Focuses on result and responds positively to feedback;
- Excellent knowledge of office software packages.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor degree, and any relevant digital media certifications.
- Consultant must have at least 6 years of progressive experience in data visualization of statistics and research results, from initial concept to finished product;
- Well proven and demonstrated capacity and experience in the field of data visualization, creative and highly engaging products;
- Ability to cover several simultaneous requests;
- Ability to set clear time plans and well scheduled work processes;
- Good connections with field coordinators and technical personnel for efficient and effective field work;
- Full access to latest equipment and technologies;
- Journalistic and production skills, editing, etc.;
- Experience working on or knowledge of gender equality and violence against women issues; as well as youth-related issues is an asset;
- Cultural sensitivity and experience working with culturally diverse and international groups.
- Candidates must be fluent in Arabic and English.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology: ??Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
Technical Criteria Weight: 70%
- Criteria1: Minimum 5 years of experience in the data visualization of statistics and research results (Weight: 20%. Maximum obtainable Points: 20);
- Criteria2: Traceable record of work in the field of data visualization, creative and highly engaging products (Weight 15%; maximum obtainable points 15);
- Criteria3: Computer literacy, electronic networks and software used for communication purposes (i.e. Websites, electronics bulletin, etc.) (Weight: 15%. Maximum obtainable Points: 15);
- Criteria4: Practical experience working with field coordinators and technical personnel for efficient and effective field work (Weight 20%; maximum obtainable points 20).
Financial: Lowest financial proposal: 30%.
Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combines score (financial and technical). The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula:
(Lowest Bid Offered*)/(Bid of the Consultant) x 30.
*"Lowest Bid Offered" refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in technical evaluation.
Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
Proposal: To be included as part of the proposal:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your consultancy explaining your suitability for the work;
- A brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work (limit to under 1,500 words);
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment; and
- Personal CV and work portfolio.
- Financial proposal against deliverables above
- Please note that UN Women ROAS will cover international travel and accommodation cost to other Arab Countries requested by UN Women communication team.
The above-mentioned documents (Cover letter, Methodology, UN Women P11, Personal CV and financial proposal) should be merged in a standalone file including all them, since the online application submission does only permit to upload one file per application. Incomplete submission can be a ground for disqualification.