Community Service Officer
Title: Community Service Officer
Reports to: Protection Team Leader
Start of Contract & Duration: 5 months
Posting date: August 30, 2017
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Under DRC’s Protection programme in Okugo Refugee Camp, the Community Services Officer will be responsible for managing DRCs activities in the reception center, including the Protection Help Desk for new arrivals, facilitating community engagement and protection mainstreaming in all DRC’s interventions in the camp. The Community Service Officer will report to the Protection Team Leader.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Ensure that all interventions adhere to humanitarian principles and protection principles as well as DRC protection guidelines and accountability framework
- Apply community based approach in identifying protection needs and solutions
- Design, implement, facilitate and supervise DRC’s protection activities in the reception facilities
- Implement and supervise Protection Help Desk activities, including identification, information, referrals and follow up.
- Facilitate community engagement, information and awareness for new arrivals in the reception facilities and in the camp
- Facilitate protection mainstreaming through engagement with community members and other stakeholders
- Support development of awareness and dissemination plan and IEC messages and material in collaboration with other stakeholders
- Support and collaborate with DRC shelter programme in facilitating community consultation, information, community mobilization, beneficiary selection and community feedback on shelter activities. Collaborate with DRC shelter team and community members and other stakeholder to identify vulnerable households in need of shelter.
- Collaborate with DRC Livelihoods team facilitating community consultation, information, community mobilization, community feedback and beneficiary selection.
- Ensure documentation and contribute to protection information management
- Support needs assessment and data collection and analysis
- Facilitate community consultation and feedback on DRC’s programs
- Liaise with other stakeholders working in the camp
- Support and collaborate with child protection, GBV and youth programmes as needed
- Submit weekly and monthly activities reports to the supervisor every Friday and at the end of each month
• Degree in Refugee Studies, Social Sciences, Social Work and Sociology or other relevant field from a recognized institution
• Minimum 4 years of experience in an entry to mid to level position, preferably with experience in the NGO field.
• Experience working with refugees, displacement and in humanitarian context
• Experience collaborating in protection, gender and human rights related activities.
• Understanding and experience with applying humanitarian principles and protection principles and standards
• Experience in capacity building and training of staff
• Experience working with community mobilizations and participatory approaches.
• Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
• Ability to work as a member of a team essential
• Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Amharic and English
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 10, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.