Information Management Consultant - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
EXPERIENCED INFORMATION MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT WITH GIS BACKGROUND REQURIED: Mapping Information Counselling and Legal Assistance Needs as well as relevant actors in the Amman Governorate
The NRC Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) programme was established in Jordan in 2013 in order to provide casework and legal assistance to refugees in Jordan. The ICLA programme provides refugee families with, amongst other things, information and counselling in relation to their rights to registration, legal and civil documentation, housing, and access to essential services as part of a holistic casework/social work approach to beneficiary needs.
NRC’s ICLA services began in 2013 in Irbid where services were focused on Housing Land and Property Rights and tied to NRC’s shelter beneficiaries. Since then ICLA services have expanded throughout the country including to Amman when field operations began at the end of 2016.
The density and complexity of the population in Amman requires rigorous analyses of, amongst other things, the geography, the social and economic dynamics of the resident population with a specific focus on refugees’ legal needs.
PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
The overall purpose of this consultancy is to ensure that the most vulnerable refugees in need of legal aid services are being accessed in the most effective manner possible by NRC ICLA Jordan.
In order to achieve that aim the consultant should provide information, graphics and analyses that would inform ICLA’s programme response and to build capacity within the ICLA Amman team to regularly do the same. The consultant would combine information in the public domain as well information in NRC databases and from the ICLA Amman team to map Information, counselling and Legal Assistance needs among refugees and key actors/stakeholders in Amman. The mapping exercise should use Information Management and GIS skills and technology. The first part of the consultancy would be to produce a comprehensive report with graphics and written analysis of refugee legal needs and other key actors and potential referral focal points for refugees in Amman. The second part of the consultancy would be to capacity build key focal points within the Amman team to keep updating the analysis provided.
In close coordination with the Amman Project Manager, the consultant will be asked to undertake the following work:
- Compile and assess information in the public domain (in English and Arabic), information from coordination meetings, from meetings with the government, NRC databases and field visits with NRC staff (80%)
- Produce a report mapping information on Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance needs among refugees and on existing key actors/stakeholders in Amman. This report should include details maps and a multi-layered analysis taking into account socio-economic indicators, amongst other things (10%)
- Capacity build key focal points within the Amman team to continue to build on the mapping process, by producing a guidance note, with recommendations which should include any recommendations on Geomapping tools (10%)
The consultant would be asked to prepare a detailed methodology at the outset of the consultancy, setting out how they will conduct the mapping exercise that will identify the ICLA needs of refugees in Amman.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduate of social sciences, development, geography, engineering, computer science or ICT related field
- Demonstrated experience in implementing Geomapping systems and tools in a multi- faceted program as well as using Management Information Systems (MIS); Excellent knowledge of political context and institutional and government structures in JordanAksel.
- Knowledge of basic mapping and cartographic concepts; mapping symbols and standards; GIS concepts, mathematical concepts, research methods, database design principles, basic graphic arts principles; customer service principles.
- Good knowledge of humanitarian programming
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to synthesise information
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English
the following outcomes expected:
- Report with maps setting out the refugees’ legal aid needs and eixsting ICLA actors in the Amman Area
- Guidance note recommendations regarding how to improve the continuous mapping/needs/actors assessment in Amman including recommendations on needed technology and training
- Brief to NRC Jordan management on research findings.
Accommodation: Accommodation will be provided in the NRC guesthouse in Jordan. The Consultant will be responsible for their own accommodation for time spent out of Jordan.
Flights: Flights and/or transport to Jordan will be paid for by NRC Jordan
Transportation: Transportation within Jordan (and to and from the airport) associated with undertaking of the consultancy will be provided for by NRC Jordan or reimbursed upon presentation of receipts.
Time spent in Jordan: It is expected that the consultant will spend between 7-10 days in Jordan in order to view the programme in action and meet ICLA staff and staff of other agencies
Consultants should submit a covering letter setting out their relevant background, experience and motivation for the position, as well as a CV, their daily rate, expected number of days to complete the project, dates of availability and any other information or data they would require from NRC to undertake the consultancy.
No application will be considered unless a proposal of the budget and timeline is submitted with the application.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Amman
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-09-12