Technology Development Associate
Valencia | Madrid
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
The FTS Technology Development, Design and Planning Section (TDDPS) is responsible for the development of projects and services that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions. DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
The Technology Development Associate working in UNICTFV under the TDDPS vertical will liaise with customers understand their business needs, translate them into technical specifications and develop new/improved products or services. He/she will work with different verticals, suppliers to select the most appropriate solution to address customer requirements and evangelize new or improved solutions.
Under the overall supervision of the UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the direct guidance of the Information Systems Coordinator and Chief, TDDPS at UNSB-V and is responsible for following duties.
- Articulate and develop new, innovative concepts that could be implemented in addition to or as a replacement for existing solutions.
- Articulate the use of new technology emerging technologies to address client needs and integrate them under the innovation framework.
- Manage the translation of business requirements into functional requirements and technical specifications.
- Provide thorough technical guidance and act as subject matter expert in various technologies that are in the market.
- Identifying key stakeholders and build relationships to ensure successfully delivery of new solutions.
- Prioritize team’s tasks and handle workload.
- Perform other ICT related duties as required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
High school diploma or equivalent is required. A Bachelor or Master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, information Systems or any related fields may be considered with the reduced relevant years of experience.Experience:
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in software development, with strong interest in various technologies.
- Experience selecting, presenting and evangelizing new software and solutions for each customer requirements
- Strong experience in technical design, from the big picture down to the smallest detail - be it a single line of code or a full-blown service, you know how to keep our code clean
- Previous experience of liaising with, and mediating between, numerous senior stakeholders;
- Good project management skills, ability to plan, organize, and direct teams in line with changing priorities;
- Experience of working in a challenging environment where tact, diplomacy, excellent relationship management and communication skills are critical to positively influence relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to raise risks and issues in a timely manner to the right people at the right time.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
- Certification in PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable.
- Certification in ITIL® Foundation is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 6
Contract duration: 1 year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services