CFA 2017/30 (P) - Regional Media and Communications Officer (UG) - Dakar, Senegal
Call for Applications
Position Title Regional Media and Communications Officer
Duty Station :Dakar, Senegal Classification Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 17 September 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the supervision of the Regional Director for Central and West Africa at the Regional Office in Dakar, Senegal, and in collaboration with the Director of CommunicationsHead, Media and Communications Division (MCD) at Headquarters (HQs) in Geneva, the PIO successful candidate will beis responsible for contributing to the formulation and implementation of communications strategies to promote IOM and raise awareness of migration issues both regionally and internationally.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Gather, prepare and disseminate public information on IOM activities in the region, both in writing and verbally.
2. Write, edit and produce public information material for IOM’s bi-weekly press briefing notes, website and social media.
3. Advise the IOM Regional Director, media focal points and other staff in the country on media, public information, event management and visibility issues.
4. Produce content in the form of human interest stories from the field, photographs and video clips for an international audience.
5. Promote and support communications tools developed by IOM for community engagement and collection of video testimonials.
resources for target communities in the specific regional context.
7. Ensure timely and efficient publication and distribution of media content on the global website iom.int, country website and via other IOM media channels, websites, social media etc. 8. Field media enquiries being received and be available for interview on print, radio and television.
9. Provide guidance and talking points as requested to colleagues in the mission and HQs regarding on-going media requests and interview opportunities.
10. Advise field and programme staff in sub-offices on public information, media and communication issues.
11. Ensure that there is appropriate gender awareness in all IOM communications. 12. Develop and strengthen links with international and local media in the region to promote IOM’s work and reputation.
13. Initiate and manage communications events designed to raise IOM’s visibility in the region. Represents IOM at events that contribute to IOM’s visibility.
14. Liaise with media counterparts in governmental and non-governmental partner agencies. Participate in the UN Communications Groups and relevant interagency media and communication working groups to encourage information flow across agencies and to develop complementary media strategies.
15. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned by the Chief of Mission and Director of Media and Communication in Geneva.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• At least five years of relevant work experience - particularly writing and editing - in international journalism and public information;
• Demonstrated high competency as a writer, editor in English and French;
• Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media and video production;
• Familiarity with international organizations.
Page 2 / 4Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 September 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 04.09.2017 to 17.09.2017
Requisition: CFA 2017/30 (P) - Regional Media and Communications Officer(UG) - Dakar, Senegal (55138669) Released
Page 3 / 4Posting: Posting NC55138670 (55138670) Released
Page 4 / 4