Under the guidance and direct supervision of the County Programme Manager in the UN Women China Office, the Programme Coordinator will support the development of strategic planning and creative responses to emerging challenges and opportunities in area of Elimination of Violence against Women and Girls (EVAWG), and gender and HIV, ensuring that these are consistent with UNDAF priorities and UN Women China strategic priorities.
The Programme Coordinator will supervise and lead programme support staff. In close collaboration with the UN Theme Group on Gender, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UN Women Regional Office in Bangkok and national partners, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, civil society and private sector partners, the Programme Coordinator will manage implementation of programmes and projects addressing violence and discrimination against vulnerable groups who are domestic violence survivors, single mothers, left-behind and migrant girls, women living with and affected by HIV, women living with disabilities, and LGBTQI persons in China.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the Country Office (CO) programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and managemen
- Ensures implementation of EVAWG programme and Gender & HIV programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the practice area specialization assigned.
- Participates in effective management of the CO programme within the assigned practice area specialization focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Design and formulation of some parts of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Coordinator performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Application of conceptual models in support of programme design
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of projects.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including donor reporting.
- Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
Provides top quality advisory services to the Government and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to CO policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
- -Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- -Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women
- -Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- -Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- -Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- -Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- -Ability apply conceptual models in support of formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- -Good knowledge of the Results Management Guide and Toolkit
- -Strong IT skills
- -Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- -Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- -Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- -Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- -Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- -Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Required Skills and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree or equivalent in political or social sciences or related field.
Experience: At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects in cooperation with both government and non-government partners. Previous experience working with UN agency(ies) is highly desirable. Previous experience implementing development projects addressing gender issues is also an asset. Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and national language of the duty station (Mandarin Chinese).