VN 2017/104 (P) - Chief of Mission (P3) - Dili, Timor Leste
Position Title Chief of Mission
Duty Station : Dili, Timor Leste
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 18 September 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director (RD) for Asia and the Pacific in Bangkok, Thailand and under the overall guidance of the Chief of Staff at Headquarters, the successful candidate will be IOM's principal interlocutor with the Government of Timor Leste and relevant diplomatic and UN representatives.
budgetary, financial and administrative functions of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Analyze migration related trends and issues in Timor Leste, and assist the Government in defining relevant objectives and administrative structures within the context of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
2. Assess, establish and implement the modalities of implementation and conduct programme Page 1 / 4management functions for the IOM Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) programme in cooperation with relevant authorities and identified partners. In Coordination with the relevant Units/RTSs in the Regional Office for Asia Pacific (ROAP), facilitate and provide programme management support to Border Management, Labour Migration and Mobility, Counter Trafficking, Community Stabilization initiatives and Health and Mobility/Migration projects in the country. 3. Develop and manage new project opportunities in close coordination with relevant stakeholders in areas of concern to the Government and design fundraising strategies to address such issues.
4. Maintain and further develop liaison and close working relationships with local governmental authorities and diplomatic missions, UN agencies, regional, nongovernmental and international organizations, as well as donors and public media.
5. Participate in appropriate policy and operational United Nations Country Team (UNCT) inter-agency mechanisms, in particular with a view to inserting migration related issues into the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) process.
6. Manage and monitor the implementation of IOM's programmes in Timor Leste and recommend way for improvement. Supervise the related budgetary, financial and administrative functions of the Mission in accordance with the Organization's regulations and procedures. Be responsible for recruitment and capacity building of local staff.
7. Advise the Regional Director and relevant units in ROAP and HQs on national and regional migration developments, as well as on government's migration policy and legislative frameworks impacting on IOM's activities and presence in Timor-Leste and make recommendations or prepare proposals for appropriate action.
8. Keep the Regional Director and relevant Departments and Divisions in HQs fully informed of the Mission's activities. Report regularly to the Regional Director and other interested partners on progress achieved and developments in Timor-Leste. Prepare regular and specific narrative, impact, policy, financial, evaluation and statistical reports covering IOM activities. Prepare briefings and background information requested by the Regional Office and HQs. the Government and other entities.
9. Represent the Organization at national and international conferences and meetings. 10. Participate in Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) when established and contribute and provide support to inter-agency planning process and the overall humanitarian strategy. 11. Ensure Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) obligations as a cluster lead agency are carried out including on reporting and capacity and reported upon regularly, if the cluster system is activated.
12. In coordination with the Regional Office in Bangkok, develop public relations and media activities in order to promote IOM’s image and programmes.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Page 2 / 4Experience
• Experience in humanitarian programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities; • Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Familiarity with financial and business administration;
• Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration issues in East Timor, the sub-region and related issues;
• Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 18 September 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. Page 3 / 4For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 05.09.2017 to 18.09.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/104 (P) - Chief of Mission (P3) - Dili, Timor Leste (55047600) Released Posting: Posting NC55047671 (55047671) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Dili (Timor-Leste)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-09-18
P-3, International Professional
P-4, International Professional
NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
Multiple locations (Various)
Bangui (Central African Republic)